Achieving Mocha Flavored Cake

Baking By snocilla Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm by Bethkay

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 19

I need some help in getting a Mocha flavor into my cake. I was attempting to make peppermint mocha cupcakes, and the first trial had a nice peppermint flavor, but not really any mocha flavor.

I basically used my go-to dark chocolate cake recipe, added a little bit of peppermint oil, and replaced all the liquid with coffee.

I did look for some coffee or mocha flavored oil, but I couldn't find any in the local cake decorating store.

Any ideas on how to get the stronger mocha flavor?

Thanks!

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 19

Up the coffee flavor by adding instant coffee granules to your liquid coffee. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 19

Maybe baking the cake with espresso instead of coffee. and making a mocha buttercream.

snocilla Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Up the coffee flavor by adding instant coffee granules to your liquid coffee. icon_smile.gif

HTH

I use instant coffee now, so just add more to make it stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambar2

Maybe baking the cake with espresso instead of coffee. and making a mocha buttercream.

Do they make instant expresso? Niether my husband or I drink coffee or anything, so we don't own a coffee pot.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 19

Martha Stewart suggests using a coffee syrup to brush over the cake:

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup coffee extract (such as Trablit)

Directions
Heat water and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and liquid begins to simmer. Stir in extract. Refrigerate until ready to use.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

HTH

I use instant coffee now, so just add more to make it stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambar2

Do they make instant expresso? Niether my husband or I drink coffee or anything, so we don't own a coffee pot.

Yes but I think it's something you'd need to find at a specialty store. Espresso is done in shots for a reason; it's very bold and full of coffee flavor. You could also go to Starbucks and inquire into buying shots.

aswartzw Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Directions
Heat water and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and liquid begins to simmer. Stir in extract. Refrigerate until ready to use.

This is an idea. I might need to try it sometime but maybe do straight coffee instead of a syrup?

I usually just do mocha BC and call it quits at that b/c it's so difficult to get flavored cake.

Chasey Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 19

Would straight coffee make it soggy whereas using a syrup might not?

I don't know the answer! icon_razz.gif

snocilla Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Directions

This is an idea. I might need to try it sometime but maybe do straight coffee instead of a syrup?

I usually just do mocha BC and call it quits at that b/c it's so difficult to get flavored cake.

Where do you find coffee extract? Aswartz, how do you flavor the buttercream? Just add chocolate and coffee for some of the liquid?

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Chasey Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 19

A quick google search says you can find coffee extract at Sur La Table, amazon and spicebarn. A decent sized bottle is $7 or less.

When I make mocha BC, I replace some ps with cocoa and replace the milk with strong, brewed coffee.

snocilla Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:

A quick google search says you can find coffee extract at Sur La Table, amazon and spicebarn. A decent sized bottle is $7 or less.

When I make mocha BC, I replace some ps with cocoa and replace the milk with strong, brewed coffee.

thanks Chasey! I dont have time to order online, as I need it for this weekend, but I think I'm going to try the mocha BC!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 19

using coffee plus the instant granuals will not make it taste any more mocha-y. i use coffee with instant granuals disolved in my chocolate cake to bring out the chocolate flavor, and it doesnt taste like coffee at all. just fyi.

Chasey Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 19

I am guessing here, but if you had super strong brewed coffee on hand, there would be no need for that extract! You would just make the syrup with the actual coffee (but the coffee wouldn't be drinkable at that strength if you did it right. icon_biggrin.gif ) The syrup would keep them moist, too!

On the other hand, I think making the icing mocha with chocolate cake will work if you are just looking for that flavor in general. Just don't make the icing too chocolatey because like kcassano said, coffee added to chocolate enhances the chocolate and the coffee flavor doesn't come through at all! I replace the water in my chocolate cake with coffee every time and there is no coffee taste. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Directions

Where do you find coffee extract? Aswartz, how do you flavor the buttercream? Just add chocolate and coffee for some of the liquid?

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

For my mocha BC, I just add coffee (I use instant in water) to my regular BC. I make the cake chocolate. It's so yummy.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 19

i went on a hunt for instant espresso for a cookie recipe i was trying. it was not available at my local grocery store but i did find a couple brands at Whole Foods (lil fancier and includes specialty items type of grocer). i'm looking forward to trying it in my caking.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i went on a hunt for instant espresso for a cookie recipe i was trying. it was not available at my local grocery store but i did find a couple brands at Whole Foods (lil fancier and includes specialty items type of grocer). i'm looking forward to trying it in my caking.

It is interesting icon_confused.gif because I buy instant espresso from any grocery stores these day. About a year ago you could just buy it online or in specialty stores but these days you can find it in any store.
Fiesta, Kroger, Randalls and HEB they all have it in coffee section and the brand name is "Medaglio D'oro" it is really good.

HTH

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Quote:

It is interesting icon_confused.gif because I buy instant espresso from any grocery stores these day. About a year ago you could just buy it online or in specialty stores but these days you can find it in any store.
Fiesta, Kroger, Randalls and HEB they all have it in coffee section and the brand name is "Medaglio D'oro" it is really good.

HTH

I believe that's the brand I picked up! My HEB must be lame ... or maybe I just couldn't find it. I'll look harder next time, now that I know what it looks like!

snocilla Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:10pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Quote:

HTH

Wow! I've never even heard of HEB, Fiesta, or Randalls. The Kroger is a little out of my way, but it might be worth checking.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 9:54pm
post #19 of 19

I have used two different products to produce a mocha flavor--Medaglia D'oro instant espresso, which I purchased at Dean and DeLuca, and Cook's Choice brand Kona Coffee Flavor extract, which I purchased online. I know you are on tight time, so these are just for future reference.

I much prefer the Kona Coffee extract. It doesn't take a lot, so my buttercream doesn't get soupy. I found that it took too much of the espresso made with the instant powder to get a real mocha flavor, which caused my icing to get sloppy.

I haven't flavored a cake with either of them--just icing and some cookies that require a mocha flavor. I agree with everyone else--make a chocolate cake and flavor the icing. It will be delicious thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%