An Ideas For How To Make Homemade Molds? Tried Paraffin?

Decorating By Twinflower Updated 13 Dec 2010 , 4:15am by bobwonderbuns

Twinflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twinflower Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 10

Silicone is to expensive to ship to Alaska so I am wondering if anyone has a homemade recipe that is great for mold making. Has anyone tried food safe paraffin?

Thank you for your help!

9 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 10

I have used "Amazing Mold Putty". I bought it at Michael's for $20 (minus whatever coupon I had at the time). It's so easy to use. Two different bottles of putty (white and yellow), you mix equal amounts and put it over whatever you want to mold. 20 minutes or so later, it's ready to use. Works great, is food safe and is very pliable. Here is a video on it:

Twinflower Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

Good idea! Thanks! But, no michaels here icon_sad.gif. I need something that you can buy at the grocery store. Next time I go to the lower 48 I will pick up some putty.

cownsj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 10
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 12:21am
post #5 of 10

Saw something on food network. She used gingerbread dough, raw! Took work but she did it and won the challenge!

Makes sense, the stuff is stiff.

Twinflower Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 10

Interesting idea.

How about gum paste? Maybe if it dried rock hard before pressing fresh fondant into it?

cownsj Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:16am
post #7 of 10

I think a gumpaste mold might be too fragile, and it's too expensive to have to keep trying. Plus, you'd never be able to clean it properly to use again.

Twinflower Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

Wahooo! I just found an FDA approved silicone putty on amazon with free shipping! It was out of the question from the cake estores because shipping is sky high. Love amazon!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 10

I bought the Amazing Mold Putty at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon - haven't used it yet but anxious to try. Glad to hear others have used it successfully.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #10 of 10

I've made all kinds of molds with the amazing mold putty -- and it's very easy to use!! I highly recommend it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%