White Pipping...

Decorating By NikiH Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 1:55am by NikiH

NikiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikiH Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just starting out and have a cake tasting in 3 days. I wanted to practice some scroll pipping, and if good enough, do a small amount on the taster cake for the bride.

However, in looking up white buttercream recipes(which I need a pure white color), I'm seeing that there's special ingredients, that I don't have time to special order. What else can I use that's bright white that doesn't require something I have to order off of the internet?

Locally, I can't find C&H confectioners sugar or something called bright white.

I only have 2 arts and crafts stores near me, and they are limited on their cake supplies.

Thanks,

Niki

3 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 4

I would imagine that if you used an all shortening buttercream recipe it'd be white enough for just practising with.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 4

Nothing magical about C&H--it's pure 10x confectioners cane sugar--just like Domino 10X, which is available at almost every grocery store. As long as the description on the powdered sugar bag is "pure cane sugar and cornstarch", you can buy any brand. If it just says "sugar", then it can be beet sugar and that can go toward the grey side.

You don't need brite white. You can use a Crisco/shortening recipe and you'll be fine.

If you use a butter recipe, a few dots of violet color will cancel out the yellow and you'll get a nice white.

HTH
Rae

NikiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikiH Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 4

Thank you. I actually found a RI recipe on joy of baking, that turned out perfect consistancy.

Wheew - now to work on scrolls....

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%