Does This Look Like A Topsy Turvy Cake??

Decorating By TSI-love Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 1:57am by NanaSandy

TSI-love Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSI-love Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 12

Hello, all. I am way new to this stuff, and I have a client who wants a cake this shape (and the shape only is what I'm looking at). I just don't know if it is a topsy turvy/crooked cake, or if it is just woder at the top and smaller at the base, but stacked straight.

Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

ETA: It won't let me add the picture, but here is the site it is on. It's the fourth one in with the snowflakes: http://www.azcakes.com/wedding/

THANK YOU

11 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 12

i think it is a topsy cake . . the angle of the photo is very hard to work out :/ but to me it looks like the tops are slanted as well as tapered sides

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 12

Ask the client what she thinks the shape is. It doesn't matter what we think it is. It only matters what the client will be expecting. Ask her.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 12

I think it could be but from the pics it's hard to say like Caths_cakes said.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 12

I don't think it's turvy. It looks like it's cut down a bit though. Like from wider to a bit smaller. I agree with the other person about asking the customer what they would like.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Ask the client what she thinks the shape is. It doesn't matter what we think it is. It only matters what the client will be expecting. Ask her.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

IMO it is not topsy turvy, because if it was they would show a picture that clearly shows the shape of the cake(on the site).

jodiebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodiebelle Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 12

It doesn't look as though it is a topsy. Looks like 6,7 and eight. 12,11,10 etc

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 12

i see that it is a cake that is wider at the top and tapered at the bottom. . topsy turvys are cut at a slant on the top and each tier is placed opposite of each other. at least that is what i was taught.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 12

I think it's just tapered, not a topsy. The snowflakes set up higher than the cake give you the illusion that it's topsy turvy.

funtasticcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtasticcakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 12

Yes, definitely topsy turvy. There are many ways to do a topsy turvy.....I make mine like this...wider on top and narrow towards the bottom....that's how my instructor taught me. It all about your preference.

TSI-love Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSI-love Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:55am
post #11 of 12

you guys are wonderful, but now she has found a cake that suites her much bettericon_smile.gif lol. But I will definitely keep this in mind for the next time someone asks for this!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #12 of 12

From a newbie...but I think it is just tapered down the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%