Leftover Cake Tops

Baking By GJH0523 Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 1:25am by indydebi

GJH0523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GJH0523 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a recipe or idea as to what to do with the leftover cake tops as to though them out.

7 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 8

Lots of people use them to make cake balls. But others avoid the humps all together. Do you use magic strips around the pan or use a flower nail in the center? By using strips, a nail and baking at 325 I no longer have humps to cut off. They come out flat.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 8

My cut-offs are getting smaller with practice. I usually use them to "sample for quality". Then check another bite to be sure.......

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 8

Sometimes I post a status on Facebook like "I have cake tops! Any takers?" Not only does it get you some advertising, but people get to taste your cakes for free! Sometimes I send them to my kids teachers with a small bag of icing to use to make "Cake Samiches"....that's what my youngest son calls them. The teachers look forward to it and many ask me when I'm going to send more....

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 8

i use them to make cake spackle a la Toba Garrett. i use that to dam my filling and for crumb coating.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 8

My mother-in-law lives in a seniors complex. She has her own little cottage there. I give the majority of my cake tops to her and she passes them out to the seniors who live there too. They love them! They use them for trifles and with ice cream. They eat them as snacks. A lot of the seniors are on a fixed income so the treats are really appreciated. My MIL is like a dope dealer - only with cake! When they see me or my husband coming with the bags of cake tops, they start phoning her or knocking on her door. They even come with their housecoats on! So cute!!!

They are certainly not wasted and they go to people who really enjoy them so that makes me happy. I don't look at it as a marketing or business type thing.

Other than that, I make moon pies sometimes for my grandchildren. I just take two tops, put some icing/filling between them and cut them into individual servings. Again, a great snack idea. Hubby sometimes takes some into the office to share with his co-workers (when he can wrestle them away from his mom icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 8

Fill a desert bowl with a serving of cake trimmings (or stale cake) and cover with hot sweet sauce.

Sweet Sauce

2 Tbls. butter -melted
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. flavoring
2 cups of water
Stir dry ingredients into melted butter, then add water. Cook till boiling (long enough to get rid of raw flour taste.) Add flavoring. Pour over leftover cake, baked apple slices or stale donut pieces. This was my mother's way of salvaging a desert out of whatever was available. Pour sweet sauce over it and my brothers and I would scaf it down.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

As someone mentioned above, mine got much smaller with practice and especially since I learned teh push-down method here on CC.

to be honest, they go right in the trash. we are sick of cake and have no desire to save leftovers. When I bake a cake (at home), I yell out "TRIM JOBS!!!!" and they know they have 5 minutes to get any of the trimmed cake they want. that's it.

It's product waste, just like sawdust from a carpenter, yarn scraps from a knitter and little pieces of plastic and rubber from a wire manufacturer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%