Red Velvet Ganache?

Baking By MJTKNT Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm by MJTKNT

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 10

Red velvet cake is white and chocolate cake combined in a 2:1 ratio...as far as Macsmom's recipe is concerned. I'm looking to cover a cake with ganache. White chocolate would go best, but is so much more expensive than regular chocolate. Do you see any reason why I can mix white and regular chocolate to make a ganache that's flavored similarly to the red velvet cake? I'll use the amount of cream based on the separate ratios for the amount of white and regular chocolate so it sets up right. Has anyone ever done this? How did it turn out? Will I run into any issues?

9 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 10

Um, you'll basically end up with milk chocolate ganache. Who is the cake for and what did they order? IMHO a milk chocolate ganache would be unexpected with a red velvet cake. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't really go with it however traditionally it's a vanilla or cream cheese frosting with red velvet. BTW you can substitute softened, room temp cream cheese for the heavy cream in ganache, oh so yummy - White Choc Cream Cheese Ganache.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 10

Here's another idea for you. I recently purchased a new product by Duncan Hines called Amazing Glazes which is a semi firm product in a soft bottle. You microwave the product and pour onto whatever you want. I purchased it because I wanted to use it as a 'mock ganache'. It comes in a white Vanilla and a Chocolate flavor. You could combine for a milk chocolate look. Good luck!

MJTKNT Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:04am
post #4 of 10

I like to cover all my cakes with ganache before fondant. The cake itself will be filled with the desired flavor (cheesecake). This is a wedding cake I'm doing as a gift for my cousin. She has a very limited budget, but is paying for the ingredients. She can't afford the amount of white chocolate I'd need to cover her cake, so that's where the thought of mixing some white with regular chocolate came in.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:46am
post #5 of 10

I just did this for my daughter's cake. I had some white chocolate ganache left over from another cake the day before, and some chocolate ganache in the freezer from the week before. i combined the two and they were fantastic! I am not a fan of semi sweet or dark chocolate, so to me it smoothed the taste out quite a bit. You could still taste the semi-sweetness (if that is a word),but it had the richness and creaminess from the white chocolate.

Of course, if she is requesting white chocolate, she may not want this. The chocolate flavor was still prodominate, not a white chocolate at all.

MJTKNT Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:59am
post #6 of 10

She didn't request a specific ganache at all. This is totally up to me. I just want to be sure that I'm not going to ruin both the white chocolate and dark/semi-sweet by mixing them. Sounds like you had good results, so I'll give it a try as well!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:28am
post #7 of 10

I suggest making them separate then mixing them together after.

MJTKNT Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 8:05am
post #8 of 10

Will do. Thanks!

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10

I was curious how it turned out

MJTKNT Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 10

Eh- just tasted like milk chocolate. Still haven't figured out the best ganache flavoring for red velvet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%