What Am I Doing Wrong? Fondant

Decorating By DALIG Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 12:33am by fondantgirl

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 9

Ok it does not matter what i do all of my fondant cakes end up sogging and with air bubbles after i cover them and let them sit for a day, yesterday i covered my cake beutifly for tomorrows and today they two of them are soggi and no matter what techinique i use they always come up like this, please i bought the perfecting the art of buttercream video ane i follow everything as sharon says but still no luck i live in north west of Texas. could it be the weather? can you all tell me what could i do to make sure my cakes look profesional? I mean i can cover the inperfections with some decorations but it just makes me crazy knowing that underneath all that is just ugly. Thank you

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 9

It shouldn't be the weather.

What kind of cake, frosting and fondant are you using?

How are you storing the finished cake?

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 9

I use the butter cream recipe from sharon zambito's dvd and i make my own fondant with the recipe from tobas book. and i use to put it in the fridge right after i cover it but since it always used to swet i just stoped doing it and i just leave it out on the counter.

fondantgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgirl Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 9

I would try to use Satin Ice and see if that helps! It might be the homemade fondant!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 9

Do you let the cake settle after you fill it? And once the fondant is on, are you storing it in a rubbermaid container, or just loosely draped with plastic wrap?

fondantgirl Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 9

When I store my fondant cakes its either in the fridge or on the counter in a cake box opened slightly. Airtight is not good for fondant icon_sad.gif it gets way too soft!!!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 9

If you're using Perfecting the Art of Buttercream, are you putting a thick coating of buttercream on the cake, like she does in the DVD? In the Flawless Fondant DVD, Sharon uses just a crumb coating of buttercream under her fondant, to avoid a lot of "squishing."

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgirl

When I store my fondant cakes its either in the fridge or on the counter in a cake box opened slightly. Airtight is not good for fondant icon_sad.gif it gets way too soft!!!

That's why I was asking icon_biggrin.gif You'd be amazed how many people will store a cake in one of those airtight cake keepers and the fondant just about dissolves.

fondantgirl Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgirl

That's why I was asking icon_biggrin.gif You'd be amazed how many people will store a cake in one of those airtight cake keepers and the fondant just about dissolves.

Oh yeah I can imagine cause people want to keep it fresh but people don't realize that the fondant is what actually is keeping the cake itself fresh.....I made the mistake one time of putting cupcakes with handmade fondant decorations in a airtight container :O you could only imagine my surprise I found in the morning before they had to be delivered. So i had to remake some of them icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%