Hi Ratio Shelf Life?

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 8:12am by auzzi

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

I ordered some hi-ratio online and there was no expiration date printed on the bucket. I'm wondering how long it will be good. How long does everyone usually keep it for. I don't decorate professionally so I won't be using it as quickly as some of you guys. What would be the longest I could keep and use it without it going rancid or causing someone to get sick. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 10:47am
post #2 of 9

If your hi-ratio was just manufactured, and was shipped/stored under ideal conditions - it should be good for 12 months.

HTH

P.S. You can store your hi-ratio in the freezer. And if you apportion freezer bags with the amount you use per batch of icing, it really saves time.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much JanH. I was starting to think nobody knew.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 9

Wow! It's like CC'rs are freakin' mind readers! 4realLaLa, thanks for asking the question, and JanH, thanks for answering.

My state, California, is outlawing Hi Ratio as of Jan 1, 2011 so I just ordered a 50 pound box from a local bakery supply warehouse. I am also a hobby baker and have learned that if I want excellent ingredients/supplies I end up buying in bulk because it usually costs the same for 1/2 the amount (or less) to buy the stuff at a local cake specialty store. I figure if I use up half of my bulk supplies I'm at break-even, and if I use more, it's essentially "free".

I've been considering getting a second freezer or fridge/freezer combo for a couple of months now. Now that I know I can freeze the Sweetex, ganache, buttercream, Pastry Pride, cakes, etc. it sounds like another "cake" expense that will be worthwhile even tho I never expected to have to buy a freezer for cake decorating! (They didn't mention that in the Wilton Course.....)

JanH - do I have to let the shortening defrost? How long?

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Wow! It's like CC'rs are freakin' mind readers! 4realLaLa, thanks for asking the question, and JanH, thanks for answering.

My state, California, is outlawing Hi Ratio as of Jan 1, 2011 so I just ordered a 50 pound box from a local bakery supply warehouse. I am also a hobby baker and have learned that if I want excellent ingredients/supplies I end up buying in bulk because it usually costs the same for 1/2 the amount (or less) to buy the stuff at a local cake specialty store. I figure if I use up half of my bulk supplies I'm at break-even, and if I use more, it's essentially "free".

I've been considering getting a second freezer or fridge/freezer combo for a couple of months now. Now that I know I can freeze the Sweetex, ganache, buttercream, Pastry Pride, cakes, etc. it sounds like another "cake" expense that will be worthwhile even tho I never expected to have to buy a freezer for cake decorating! (They didn't mention that in the Wilton Course.....)

JanH - do I have to let the shortening defrost? How long?

I know that they're banning trans fats in many states- is this why they're banning high ratio shortening? I've tried zero trans fat High ratio and didn't like it as much as the regular formula.

I've never ordered it in that large an amount- only in the 4 lb tubs. I keep it sealed and wrapped in a plastic bag in the fridge for up to a year with no problems. I usually use it before then but I think that I'm going to try JanH's suggestion to measure out portions and freeze them in baggies. I'll vacuum seal them in batches. Thanks for posting this. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 9

That's just the dumbest law. You don't stop people from eating too many trans fats by banning food. You stop them by teaching them from a very early age about eating foods with trans fats in moderation. An occasional piece of cake with trans fats in it is NOT the enemy.

We need a serious national initiative in this country to restore people to better health and it starts by putting a strong focus on health/nutrition and PE in schools so kids get some exercise every day. IMHO, PE should be a required course EVERY year of a kid's school life and it should focus on life sports that kids have fun doing and will continue on their own when they leave school. I used to think Home Ec classes were silly, but we need to teach kids how to cook again. It's shocking how many people don't EVER cook their own food from scratch any more (and don't give me the line that we're too busy because that's BS. I can fix a meal from fresh ingredients in 30 minutes). Look at kids these days. We're dooming them to a lifetime of obesity and health problems.

It's just so typical to try to deal with the symptom of the problem instead of addressing the actual problem.

BTW, I keep my 50 lb. box of Sweetex in my pantry for many, many months. It'd be fine in the refrigerator for a long time (as Jan said, easily 12 months).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I think I'm over my rant now. I feel better. : p

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 9

I can't believe that they are banning it icon_eek.gif
So, once the ban goes into effect, everyone will be skinny and healthy icon_razz.gif
Problem solved, right??? icon_confused.gif
Jodi

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

I can't believe that they are banning it icon_eek.gif
So, once the ban goes into effect, everyone will be skinny and healthy icon_razz.gif
Problem solved, right??? icon_confused.gif
Jodi

Exactly! And they've been saved from being poisoned by the evil silver and gold dragee industry, too!!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 8:12am
post #9 of 9

California state law banning trans fats was passed in July 2008.

The compliance deadline was Jan 1 2010 for restaurants/food outlets. Bakeries have until Jan. 1, 2011 to comply.

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/food/pdf/publications_transfat_guidelines.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%