Duncan Hines Or Betty Crocker...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm by cakeflake80

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #31 of 41

I like Pillsbury's price...but I get more batter with Duncan Hines so that's what I use.

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:59pm
post #32 of 41

DH butter recipe always comes out great for me! Very moist, fluffy & yummy! I do think I also mix it a little longer then suggested.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #33 of 41

This topic has been tossed around on CC more times than I care to mention. Just use what you like best. If your clients like it and you are consistant then stick with it. I personally perfer DH and it yields more batter than the other two brands. I will use Pillsbury in a pinch, won't touch a Betty Crocker cake as they have a really bad aftertaste in my opinion, but others swear by it and don't like DH. I pretty much use DH exclusively and create all my flavors (except for a few family recipes that are scratch) from the two most basic flavors...French Vanilla and the Dark Chocolate cake mixes.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:16pm
post #34 of 41

I use a lot of cake mix. I like Betty or Duncan, I've got a good way to make them all work wonderfully. I very rarely post on here, but this is something that I am really sure about.
Bake at 325 instead on 350, you get a better texture
3 whole eggs ( I think that the egg whites make the cake a little light, and it sort of crumbles apart when serving it)
1/2 cup oil instead of 1/3 cup
I also add a little extra vanilla or if you are lucky you can get something call ButterVanilla ( I get it from Magicline)
It is true everyone has thier own ways and what works best for them. I work in a Bakery Supply / Bakery and this is the advise I've been giving my customers for years. I've got nothing but good feed back. I tell everyone that cake mixes are great and usually work the first time. Good Luck!

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:16pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneusmcwife

I use BC. I haven't had any problems with it and I've done large stacked cakes and carved cakes with it. They have box tops too so its win win for me icon_smile.gif

LOL!!! That is one of my swaying factors too!!! You must have kids too. icon_lol.gif

Yep, sure do. I work at my daughter's school too.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:19pm
post #36 of 41

I only use Duncan Hines. I use their "lite" recipe from years ago,
which is: 2 eggs and 1-1/2 Cups water for devils food and
2 eggs and 1-1/3 Cups water for all others. Everyone always comments
on how moist they are. I follow the exact recipe on the box for
white cake. They used to have these recipes on the boxes back in the
80's, and I went with them because they were cheaper to make. I've never had a problem.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:47pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I know most people on here like the DH, but I just don't see it. Every time I try it, I fail miserably. I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if I am just used to the BC and Pillsbury results. When I use DH the cakes don't rise properly and seem a little rubbery, if that makes sense. Does anyone have the same problem? Or is it just me?

Same results for me as well... My sis bought DH for her daughter's cake and it was really rubber-like (IMO )

bigwheals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigwheals Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #38 of 41

Yes Pilsbury to me is the best taste and always turns out perfectly baked!

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:28pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmo

1. PB, 2. DH, 3. BC

I like the Pillsbury best for flavor, texture and reliability. But sometimes I have to get one of the others for a flavor not available in PB. I did find that all of them come out better if I substitute butter for the oil.

ohhh I never thought that could be done ( I am new) so would it be the same exact amount or do you need to know a mathematical equation as in x amount of oil = this amount of butter... umm I love butter

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 6:59pm
post #40 of 41

I have always used BC. Not really sure why, just habit I guess. I have used DH orange because it's the only orange mix I can find. DH turns out more dense than BC. I made a cake with DH orange on one side and BC white on the other.....had to carve a lot off the white to make it level with the orange.

I have not tried any other flavors of DH and haven't ever tried Pillsbury. I do a doctored cake mix with pudding and do add the pudding to BC anyway. The only one that it gives me with is BC triple fudge....makes very thick batter and I only get 22 cupcakes instead of 24.

I also add both vanilla and butter flavor to any cake mix, except orange, then I add vanilla and orange.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #41 of 41

I have always been strictly BC because it's the one that's usually on sale and they have a great selection of flavors. Their triple chocolate fudge cake is to die for. HOWEVER, recently I have had major problems with that particular mix. The past two cakes I have done have been sort of crumbly, which didn't help because one had to be slightly carved. This bothered me so much so that I bought DH this week for my daughter's upcoming birthday cake (actually working on it right now!!). I can see the difference. Not nearly as many crumbs and much much firmer. I may stick with DH from now on, especially if I need chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%