Mini Cakes - Crumb Coat!

Decorating By Mrs_Olivares Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 4:57am by SweetsbyLadawn

Mrs_Olivares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Olivares Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:24am
post #1 of 8

hi there! so ive been wanting to make some mini cakes and finally got the chance to do so today only to end up frustrated and un happy!! i made king size cupcakes and from there cut them using a round cookie cutter. that part went okay but have decided to next time just use a cake sheet. my huge proplem was crumb coating!! i stuck it on a turn table only to have it move at the smallest turn, and then on top of that when i was trying to put on the buttercream, each and every one of my mini cakes fell apart icon_confused.gificon_sad.gif !! what am i doing wrong? please help! tia!

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:42am
post #2 of 8

Maybe you should have stuck them in the freezer first to harden them up? I have not made them but everyone says they are a royal pain and most people recommend ganache or ganache under fondant. It's hard to coat small cakes in buttercream.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 8

My suggestion for you is to pipe the icing on and spread it with a spatula or with a clean towel mash it down to remove the piping lines.

To hold it onto the turntable--put a piece of ribbley shelf liner under your cake board.

Oh yeah I use my finger to smooth these too.

This used to unnerve my boss which delighted me but I often turn my footed turntable upside down for small items.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 8

I make a lot of min cakes and they are a pain. I dont give them away. I use Pantastic pans so I dont have to cut them out. After putting in the filling, I freeze them so I can hold them between my thumb and middle finger to frost the sides. Have a container of very hot water handy to warm up your spatula or youll have a hard time with the frosting temporarily freezing on the frozen cakelet.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 8

ditto seedrv! freezing them is key. I usually make the sheet, ice the top, freeze, cut out cakes, refreeze, then ice the sides (holding them in my hands) a few at a time to keep them cold.

Mrs_Olivares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Olivares Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

thank you all for the advice!! think ill give it another try this weekend!

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #7 of 8

I always do mine by freezing my cake and then cutting out the size I want with a round cutter. I wrap up the rest and only bring out one cake at a time to work on. When I frost mine I stick a small skewer stick through the center to help it from sliding around while I frost it. Hope that helps, I love making mini's but they can be tough but so worth it.

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 4:57am
post #8 of 8

OMG the turn table upside down! Genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%