Why Do I Get Myself Into These Messes! Venting...

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm by warchild

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 26

A 'friend' contacts me to make a small wedding cake for her daughter 2 weeks ago.
My friend's husband is an electrician and did some serious electrical work for me.
I offered to 'barter' the cake in lieu of the bill. They agreed.
I asked that the contact me no later then November 22 for the 'small' cake which is due on Dec. 1st.
After dogging down the MOB and Bride, TODAY, I find out they want a cake for up to 75 people and they want it to be able to be transported 4 hours away!
*bangs head against the wall whining*
"Why oh why do I get myself into these things, you are such a DORK!"

Next time I'm just paying the derned bill!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
(However I am thankful, I have somewhere to vent!) icon_wink.gif

25 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

they want it to be able to be transported 4 hours away!

To be able to be transported doesn't necessarily mean that they want you to transport it. If you're certain they want you to transport it, just give them your delivery charge. They might be giving you a heads up to construct it in a secure way so that it can easily be transported for a long distance.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 26

well, I guess 75 is a small wedding (compared to 200+). You certainly have the talent to accomplish this. Chin up!. I think bartering is a good thing, but... lesson learned for next time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 26

My experience in this arena is that the cake for 75 becomes a cake for 100
then for 125 dot dot dot

So there's more than one way to get screwed!!!! icon_lol.gif

tokazodo Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 26

No, I"m not transporting it, MOB is.
But I reckon a 3 tier is not going to happen.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 26

In the bright light of 'Going Forward" We might should offer to offset the invoices. So that way it's more for real. Where both invoices are prepared and the bottom lines are deducted one from the other.

"Bartering with Boundaries" we could call it. icon_lol.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 26

how much of a difference is the bill vs. the cake?

CWR41 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 26

So, where's the problem? I don't see it yet.

You're right, a 3-tier would probably be too big for 75 people and a 2-tier would be more than enough if you use the correct sizes.

Is the serious electrical work worth less than the cake they are hoping to receive?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 26

Do you know how much he was going to charge you for the electical work? My first thought when I read your post was that you were the one getting the better deal. A cake for 75 people at $4 per serving (just pulling that out of the air, I don't know what you charge) is $300 and the cost of ingredients and supplies is probably about $100. You said the husband did "serious" electical work for you. Electricians are skilled licensed tradesmen and they (like cake decorators icon_smile.gif) should and do charge accordingly.

I agree with the previous poster who said to offset the invoices in the future. It keeps things fair and prevents either party from feeling taken advantage of.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 26

Oh my, hope they know how to drive with a cake in the car. How would they feel about having a 3 tiered cake displayed on pedistals, trying to think of an easier way for them to transport the cake. I have had 3 catastrophes with people delivering their own cakes, now I won't let them. People just don't know how to drive with a cake in the car.

tokazodo Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 26

I appreciate the feed back and ya'll are right. I am getting the better end of the deal and probably need to just keep my mouth shut.
The electrician was here for a few hours and had to wait for the electric company to get here (about an hour) to 'pull' my meter. There was a short in the circuit box and he wouldn't leave until he knew what to problem was. He wanted us to be safe.
We will each probably have the same amount of hours invested when all is said and done. The electrician didn't replace any parts as it was just a loose wire.

Thank you all for helping me get the right mindset for this cake. Especially whoever posted, "I don't see the problem". (can't see posts from this window)

I will make a 2 tier, a 12 and an 8, stacked for travel. I will then add a 4 incher to ride along. If they want it on top of the cake, they should be able to plop that little bugger on top. (I might consider driving 4 hours with a stacked 3 tier, but wouldn't leave it for someone who has never done it before. )

Thanks again for all the input.

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 26

We had to have our meter pulled to put new siding on (no other electrical work), and one electrician told us it would cost something like $1500. He suggested we wait and see if the electric company would just do it or find some way around it. (You have to have the electric co. shut off all power to the house to pull a box, so usually you have to wait for them, then get the electrician out there, then have the electric co. come back- could be a day or more without electricity.) Your guy waited for the electric co.; that's really nice. I'd say you got a pretty good deal. I like K8's idea of offsetting invoices if it's a concern in the future. Good luck making it non-caker transportable! Just the thought of driving with an assembled cake stresses me out.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

So, where's the problem? I don't see it yet.

You're right, a 3-tier would probably be too big for 75 people and a 2-tier would be more than enough if you use the correct sizes.

Is the serious electrical work worth less than the cake they are hoping to receive?

Um I do a 6"/8"/10" 3 tiered cake and it serves 74. Cut a tiny bit smaller and you can get 75 servings easily from the cake. Very small 3 tier.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #14 of 26

I don't see a problem here. In fact I thnk you got the better end of the deal if this was anything more than a couple of plugs.

3 tier round cake 6/8/10 serves 75 .

CWR41 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:17am
post #15 of 26
Quote:

I will make a 2 tier, a 12 and an 8, stacked for travel. I will then add a 4 incher to ride along. If they want it on top of the cake, they should be able to plop that little bugger on top. (I might consider driving 4 hours with a stacked 3 tier, but wouldn't leave it for someone who has never done it before. )

Your 12" x 8" serves 80 without a 4" on top.

If you're going to make the 74 serving 3-tier size and are worried about the customer transporting it, you should consider using a single-plate separator system... it was designed to be used by inexperienced customers who choose to pick up their own cake rather than have it delivered.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:37am
post #16 of 26

If the fees for electrical work there are like they are here, you got a great deal. If you are not invited to the event, tell them they must transport the cake themselves.

Give them a lesson in how to stack/assemble it when they get there, take a photo of the tiers before they leave, and have them sign a release for taking possession of the cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 26

CWR41 is soooo right! SPS was *designed* for bakeries who don't offer delivery - only customer pickup. There's even a box system to go along with it. The customer can EASILY transport a three tier cake. I've sent many out the door with no problems at all.

When the customer comes to pick up their three tier cake, I put one hand under the board and tip the cake at about a 30 degree angle. After the customer recovers, I say , "See nothing's going to happen. You'll be fine. Now let's put this in your car."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I don't see a problem here. In fact I thnk you got the better end of the deal if this was anything more than a couple of plugs.

3 tier round cake 6/8/10 serves 75 .

this is also what I made for 75. One of the few times I can actually describe a cake as "Simple!"

tokazodo Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 26

Again, I'd like to thank all who took a part in helping me get my head out of my arse!
I stand truly humbled.
I have already made a 12 inch, and 8 inch and a 4 inch as I said before.
I want them to have a bunch of cake and after thinking over the price of what the electrician bill would have been vs. my cost for the cake, I really want them to have something nice, and lots of it.

I'm not sure what SPS is, but you can bet I'm going to find out!

Thanks again for all the help,
Truly
I stand humbled before you.
icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:

I'm not sure what SPS is, but you can bet I'm going to find out!

If you read the signature line from leah_s above, she was nice enough to make an instruction "sticky" about using the SPS in the cake decorating forum.

tokazodo Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:09am
post #21 of 26

The finished cake, more detailed photos in my photos. TFL

tokazodo Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:11am
post #22 of 26

Attachment feature not working, here's the cake I made, more detailed photos in my photos.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1881196

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #23 of 26

leah,
What is the box system that goes with the SPS? I've never heard it mentioned before.
Thanks.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:11am
post #24 of 26

Yes, I would like to know also....And approximately what is the cost for a 3 tier cake? Snd they dont need to return it correct?

CWR41 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #25 of 26

Bakery Craft delivery system:
http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/del%20sys/Default.aspx
(scroll towards bottom of page)

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:

Attachment feature not working, here's the cake I made, more detailed photos in my photos.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1881196

Very pretty cake! thumbs_up.gif I'm sure they were more than pleased.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%