Who Has The Mini Cricut Cake

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 4:19am by tiggy2

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 28

icon_biggrin.gif I just got the Mini Cricut Cake. Who has it and do you like it? Thanks for looking and responding... thumbs_up.gif Have a Good one.... icon_smile.gif

27 replies
diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 28

I just got mine today, half price at JoAnne's....haven't taken it out of the box yet....looking forward to hearing ppl's experience with this machine.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #3 of 28

Got mine today! Then lucked up and a cartridge at michaels for $4.99. Haven't taken my mini out of the box yet, but will real soon.

At first I was a little disappointed that I didn't get one of the $49.00 cricut cakes from Michaels, but I'm over it now! icon_biggrin.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 28

How much is a mini without a coupon?

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl383

How much is a mini without a coupon?

I got mine from Joann's Fabrics without a coupon. It was $99.00 on sale.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:28am
post #6 of 28

I got my mini today!! Joanns $99 had a $50 gift card from a while ago and so i only paid $49 out of pocket.. im so happy!! cant wait to play with it this weekend!

miasuzzette Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:39am
post #7 of 28

icon_biggrin.gif I got mine for $99 too. I can't wait to try and see. How it works... thumbs_up.gif
Thanks for your responds...

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 5:49am
post #8 of 28

cakegirl, there was no coupon....just half off today...half off tomorrow on the slice
I think that you could order it online as well for half off

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 28

I also got the mini (on line), so haven't received it yet. I want to purchase "Make the Cut" to use with it so I don't have to buy all of the cartridges. Does it come with a cable to hook to your computer?

miasuzzette Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 28

I have a Question, Can you use the same Cartridges from the big to the small one? icon_surprised.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #11 of 28

It doesn't come with a cable. All you need is a USB cable.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasuzzette

I have a Question, Can you use the same Cartridges from the big to the small one? icon_surprised.gif

Yes you can use any cartridge with the cricut cake I have the cricut expressions and i have about 50 cartridges and I also have the cricut cake I have had it since they first aired it on HSN and have not used it yet haven't had time but I am going to take it out and play some!!!

miasuzzette Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:17am
post #13 of 28

Thanks, Let's us know, How does it go... thumbs_up.gif

Momma_D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momma_D Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #14 of 28

Just got mine yesterday at JoAnn's...haven't taken it out of the box yet, though, they didn't have any of the cartridges I wanted. Does it come with one...?

bethanyannbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethanyannbakes Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:10am
post #15 of 28

Just started playing with my Cricut Cake Mini tonight. Never used any kind of Cricut before, but I've been researching it for a while and reading forums here on cake central. I think this really prepared me for using it. I knew that I wouldn't be making awesome, highly detailed cuts right away, so I started out simple and didn't get frustrated when it got messy. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was able to get a clean cut on a simple outlined shape. I haven't tried freezing or drying the gumpaste yet, but I plan to play some more tomorrow!

kaymak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaymak Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 28

I want one of these machines, but I'm not sure whether to get the mini or the regular one.

Can you use the Sure Cuts Alot software with the mini as well?

tiggy2 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #17 of 28

You should be able to use it with either one.

gaviota4fly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gaviota4fly Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:51pm
post #18 of 28

Can I use it with fondant?

gaviota4fly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gaviota4fly Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 28

I bought it on black Friday but I use it last night for first time. To be honest with you I'm enchanted, the only thing that I didn't like is the frosting sheets.They taste horrible and are crispy hard. Many of my experiment pieces broke. I wish I could work with a softer material, such as fondant. Can I use it? Cold, hard soft????

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 28

what's the major use difference between the mini and the regular?
i didn't even know there was a mini!

WhiskMeAwayCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhiskMeAwayCakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 28

The main difference is the size, the mini does 6"x12" where the regular does 12"x24". Almost all of the features are the same, except for a couple that havent really had an impact on me yet.

bls3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bls3 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:32pm
post #22 of 28

I think I still like it . It does give me greif sometimes. I need to play more and read more posts about it and all it can do.

CGoguen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CGoguen Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:14am
post #23 of 28

I just got mine 1/2 price at Joanns. I have a slight problem though. How long do the mats last? The closest Joanns is about 3hrs away and I made a special trip for this today. It is not somewhere I go more than 2-3 times a year. I live in Canada so I cannot order them online and have them shipped because they only ship to the USA. The mini is exclusive to Joanns so I am almost 100% certain I cannot get the mini-sized mats in Canada. I was going to stock up today but they didnt have any! If I can get a good life out of each mat, I will be ok (I need to make upwards of 50-75 2" butterflys in July) but otherwise will need a solution. Is there anyway you can modify the original cricut mats to work with gumpaste (ie...not sticky to hold paper)?

tiggy2 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #24 of 28

You can remove the sticky with 90 proof alchohol (the drinking kind). I use 101 grain alcohol and it rubs off pretty easy. You can also buy flexibly cutting boards and cut them to size.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #25 of 28

I have the regular, and i use satin ice fondant with it...

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:43am
post #26 of 28

I bought the cricut cake mini yesterday at Joanns also. I was curious about getting extra mats. I couldn't find them online anywhere for the mini. I emailed customer support at cricut and they said if you can't find the 6 x 12 mats for the mini to get the 12 x 12 cricut cake mats and cut them in half.

oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #27 of 28

I have the Cricut Mini and they have alot of replacement parts and other supplies on Amazon.com just type in cricut cake and it will pull all of it up, including the 12x24 mats.
You have to roll out the fondant REALLY thin for it to cut right. That has been my only problem so far.

tiggy2 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:19am
post #28 of 28

12 x 24 mats willnot work on the mini. It will only handle 12" long, but you could cut them in 1/4ths

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%