No Matter What I Do The Liners Still Peel Away....

Baking By cakesrpretty Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 7:38am by scp1127

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

fromscratchSF, I just read your blog and it is very interesting. When my cupcakes would pull away, it was not very often and only a tiny bit (1/4" on the top). I attributed it to my recipes being very moist and they are scratch. When my girls were little, I let them make box mixes. It never happened. Do you think there is just so much moisture a thin liner can handle? Or do you think less leavener would help? The color of the liner also doesn't hold up in my recipes. But I have also read Rose and Shirley. I just wasn't willing to change my recipes. I am interested in your opinion because some of the liners are so pretty (and could be used with light colored batters). Thankfully, Reynolds has a great variety now.

Well, let me say that I can only go from personal experience and geeking out on food science. I really wanted to know not just the how, but the whys.

I have never had a problem with a wrapper, 100% of the time for me it was the recipe. It's just logic - I make an oil based cupcakes, they come out fine. I make butter based recipe, they pulled from the wrappers... same Reynolds wrappers. I am not in the camp that thinks a recipe is a recipe, and will work no matter what you put it in - unless you use a box cake. No disrespect for those that use them, but they are literally engineered to be 99% foolproof for the home cook.

If you make the same batter in a regular cake, when it comes out of the oven, does it pull from the sides of the pan by about an 1/8 of an inch? Most do. So why wouldn't the same batter act the same way if you put it in a cupcake liner? This was the biggest realization I came to that made me decide to start tweaking my recipes.

Moisture - I soak most of my cupcakes with simple syrup after they come out of the oven, and I make tres leches cupcakes.. all in those same Reynolds wrappers and they still don't pull from the sides. They can just get soggy if I use too much. I don't think moisture is the problem.

But again, I can only say what worked for me.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:48am
post #32 of 34

FromscratchSF, Thanks for your information. The Reynolds and some foil liners from etsy have never pulled away. Celebrate from Michaels and some really pretty, but very cheap liners from ebay were the worst. I will try your suggestion and see how it works. Does the change in the amount of leavener change the texture of the cupcake at all?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:29am
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

FromscratchSF, Thanks for your information. The Reynolds and some foil liners from etsy have never pulled away. Celebrate from Michaels and some really pretty, but very cheap liners from ebay were the worst. I will try your suggestion and see how it works. Does the change in the amount of leavener change the texture of the cupcake at all?

Not that I noticed, but you results may vary.

Jen

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:38am
post #34 of 34

Thanks, Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%