Help! Client Wants A Lot For Little Money...

Business By lynmn2 Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 12:53am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:58pm
post #31 of 50

I agree...by the detail she has given you for each cake she knows exactly how to play people to get siomething for nothing...Tell her forget it!!!

I don't turn my oven on for less than $50.00 minimum and it sure isn't for a 3D type cake..Mine start at $150.00 and up...

Don't let customers dictate your prices!!!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:28pm
post #32 of 50

I do not negotiate prices. This is my price, if you don't want to pay that, then go to Sam's and get a sheet cake. Sorry if that sounds rude, but I'm not working for free!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #33 of 50

I do cakes as a hobby but every time I go buy all the stuff and goodies to make a cake, I always spend way more than $20!!! for sure.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:34pm
post #34 of 50

I agree turn her down. She is taking advantage of you.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #35 of 50

You will start resenting doing cakes once the bills add up and you realise you are paying for their cakes. I was doing that all the time at first as I wanted to get experience, I would find myself running out of money and getting annoyed that I had done something for nothing. Someone asked me for a hello kitty cake for 30 people, so I quoted £40... They were horrified.. Said they only wanted to spend £20-£25... The uk store cakes are about £15 so I told him where to go. This was someone I work with who earns £17 per hour when they do overtime!!! They expect me to work 8 hours for £20-£25 when they can earn that in 2!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 8:12pm
post #36 of 50

PS. Yesterday I took an order for a birthday cake. 8" round, pirate (not a figure) and message, in fondant. $96. Customer didn't even blink.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #37 of 50

Oh HELL no.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 3:47am
post #38 of 50

I grew up in San Rafael and can tell you that it is a very expensive area to live in (wasn't quite so bad 30 years ago). $20 wouldn't cover anything--I hope you told this lady no and referred her to a baker in Tiburon or Belvedere instead!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 5:00am
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmn2

(I decided against the wand -- let's keep it simple.)

OMG, someone ACTUALLY got the person I've been talking about!!

Just as a reminder, here's a thread where I use my "simple" volcano cake example http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596522-volcano.html and omg, you got her!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

..... "I'd like a SIMPLE little cake ... 4 tiers, 5 flavors, with a volcano at the top and a monkey band climbing up the side ... but you don't have to make ALL the instruments .... you can forget the drums. And since you don't have to make the drums, I get a discount, right? Twenty bucks should cover it?"

i swear, I was making this whole thing up to make a point, but omg this customer really REALLY exists, almost word for word!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

this is why I told people "You're not allowed to use the word "simple" unless you've actually made a cake!"

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:07am
post #40 of 50

I recently posted a question about are some customers clueless and after reading the response I got on it I realized something, if I wanted to be working for charity I should be volunteering for one.
So this week I got one of "those" customers who's other cake ladies had moved or retired. I listened patiently to her describe what she wanted for this cake and how she didn't have a lot of money to spend after spend $100 on invitations, so she knew she would be able to get one of my cakes for $20. She gasp when I told her what the price would be...and this is what she said..."I told you I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a cake didn't you understand?" I took a deep breathe, thought of all of you and my two children and told her "Mam, I don't have a lot of money period because I have been doing cakes for people who want to take advantage of me and for running my business like a hobby instead of a business, the bottom line is the price is the price.....so will you be ordering that cake or not?
I'm glad I grew a pair....thanks yall.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 6:17am
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

.....so will you be ordering that cake or not?
I'm glad I grew a pair....thanks yall.

Standing up and applauding!! Happy Independence Day to you!!!! party.gif Great story!!

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:13am
post #42 of 50

I had been doing daycare for a gal for about 4 years now, and she is getting married this May. I have done birthday cakes for her 2 kids, and she asked if I would do her wedding cake and what would I charge. Well, I quoted her a price for the 3 tiered cake she wanted, but that would be if it was all the same fillings and cake flavors and such. Well, she tells me that she just wants a "simple" cake and she really likes the look of fondant. She knows that I am not comfortable doing fondant cakes, because I just have not had good luck with it. We have talked about this different times. Anyway she kept saying that she really wants it and she knows that I can do it. This went on for a while, and finally I told her how much more it would cost with the fondant. She couldn't understand why it cost so much, since she was just having a plain cake. So I explained it all to her. And she says "well, since you said that you haven't had a lot of experience, then this could be kind of a trial cake for you, and I'm okay with it not being perfect, this way you'll get some experience and then when you are good you can charge that price." I just looked at her and said "I don't even know how to respond to that." She goes "what?" Well, after explaining to her all that was wrong with what she just said, I told her that she should find someone else to do her cake. She said that she didn't understand what the big deal was and that was the end of that, until 2 weeks later when she told me that she wouldn't need me for daycare anymore. Her reason was that she has a friend that really needs the money so she is going to take the kids to her. That hurt.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 7:44pm
post #43 of 50

kaseyrconnect, I know it hurts but you are better off cutting your loses. Your "friend" wouldn't have been happy with the cake not looking perfect as she had claimed.

ShaunPepe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunPepe Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:42pm
post #44 of 50

That was real low of her to take her kid out of daycare. You are obviously better off without her. I am shocked that you never had any problems before with this women if you were making birthday cakes for her.

cakelady2266 - your story is great! I would hope more people stand up to those bullies trying to practically steal cakes. I am fairly new to Cakecentral, only been reading posts for a couple months now. But I think the most valuable information I have been taking away from here is now to undervalue myself. I feel lucky enough to not/or ever depend on cakes as my income because my lovely husband has agreed to be our main provider. Plus I have 2 little ones under 2 at the moment so I really have no time to devote to cakes at the moment. But I have set my prices and I have had a bnch of people asking for quotes for wedding cakes for next year, but I havn't booked a single one. But that doesn't bother me. I know the right customers will come who have seen my work and are willing to pay. And it probably helps that because I already have no time, its easy to think to myself, if I take that birthday cake order I been up all night for 2 nights for maybe $40. What can i buy with $40?

Leteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leteff Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 10:24pm
post #45 of 50

icon_biggrin.gif Hello Everyone, Im new to the cake world and I happened to come across this web site. I visited for the first time last night and before I knew it it was 4:00am. The warning was right it is addictive. I just finished my first course with wilton and Im so excited and ready to learn more. I revisited the site today and find my self unable to leave. There's so much I've already learned here that only hands on experience could have taught me. I have always had interest in cake decorating but was a single mom with two kids and never had time to do the classes. My children are grown and on there on now. I was able to fulfill my long wish to take a course in cake decorating. I having a dream of a home base business. I know Im at the right place in order to get the support to accomplish this dream. Glad to be here and hope to get to know each one of you better.

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #46 of 50

NO NO...please do not give away your hard work for nothing!! She will get her cheap cake and then pass your name to all her buddies and you will have a big problem!! You cannot even get a cake in a cheap bakery for 20 bucks. Just say no thanks and I guarantee that customers will come along that will appreciate your work. This lady is sure a piece of work and obviously does not know the work that goes into a custom cake...send her to Costco if she wants a deal...and even there they will not do a fancy cake like that!!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmn2

I already told her thanks but no thanks. I have three kids under 4. I'd rather spend my time with them then fuss over a cake that will only cause me grief.

Good for you!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

she said..."I told you I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a cake didn't you understand?" I took a deep breathe, thought of all of you and my two children and told her "Mam, I don't have a lot of money period because I have been doing cakes for people who want to take advantage of me and for running my business like a hobby instead of a business, the bottom line is the price is the price.....so will you be ordering that cake or not?

Well done! thumbs_up.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:44am
post #49 of 50

turn it down!!! you cant even possibly cover your costs at 20!!! tell her to go to walmart, that would be in her price range!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:53am
post #50 of 50

and kasey, so sorry that happened to you!!!! that is awful and i wouldnt have a clue how to respond to that either, but u stood your ground and good for you! it will pay off, this is one loss, but it will be worth it in the long run.
and as for my earlier post, walmart would prob be too high for this lady, or they have already kicked her out! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%