How To Justify Kitchenaid To Hubby

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 15 May 2013 , 5:08am by Annabakescakes

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 57

Help!!! I really want to buy a kitchenaid stand mixer, but my husband isn't too thrilled with the idea. Any ideas for reasons he might want it? How do I win him to my way of thinking? icon_wink.gif Here's the background: I'm just a hobby baker, but I've been baking/decorating a lot and my hand mixer is on its last leg. the deals are going on right now for black friday, but we're a bit on the poor side. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

56 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 57

you could always lay it away, take little from grocery money, save it back and pay on the lay away. i have never had this problem with husband, but some of my friends do. so that is what they do. lol!!! even to getting their hair cut or colored. i,m just repeating what they have said. i also hear this in the cake class room that i teach. again lol!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 57

Yes! Get the Artisan which is the smaller version and usually you can find it for about $180. Ive had mine now for over 19 years, no kidding. The only thing I had to replace was a paddle that got worn out from scraping the bottom of the bowl. I started out as a hobby baker, usually doing many of the things for birthdays and Christmas I do a bunch of cookies to hand out. I now use my mixer practically every single day. Ive NEVER had a problem with it! Its really worth it because if you buy the hand mixers or cheaper brands that are trying to duplicate the Kitchenaide look, you will be buying one every single year. They are made cheaply and you will keep having to buy them. Like the old saying, You get what you pay for. Its true. If you buy a quality items you save money in the long run!
Its the same for coffee pots! I remember my mom would literally have to buy a new one every single year. She always bought the Mr. Coffee and the cheap brands like that. THen finally one day she went to a restaurant supply place and her and my dad bought a Bunn coffee maker. You know, the kind that are used at restaurants and at things. She just replaced it two years ago and I was really young when she bought it! So tell your husband that unless he wants to throw money out the window every year buying hand mixers, to suck it up and buy you one!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 57

Ask for it for Christmas or come up with a way to earn some money.

I mean, really, Kitchenaids ARE nice but in the end a mixer is a mixer, especially when it's not your career at stake.

If I were you, and none of the options mentioned above are viable, try and get a cheaper stand mixer. Those will work just fine for what your needs are now. If caking gets more important in your life later on, then make the investment in a KA.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 57

I would point out how many functions it has. Pasta, ice cream, bread, etc. Its not just for hobby baking. You can whip up cookies faster on a stand mixer then a burnt out hand mixer. Then 'bake his favorites just for him hot out of the oven' lol. My mother has had her kitchen aid for 25+ years. Its really an investment. Anytime my husband would say 'can you make _____ for my work meeting tomorrow?' I would say, 'with a kitchenaid, i could, but not with this hand mixer. How about some instant pudding?' I got a kitchenaid that next Christmas icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

I would point out how many functions it has. Pasta, ice cream, bread, etc. Its not just for hobby baking. You can whip up cookies faster on a stand mixer then a burnt out hand mixer. Then 'bake his favorites just for him hot out of the oven' lol. My mother has had her kitchen aid for 25+ years. Its really an investment. Anytime my husband would say 'can you make _____ for my work meeting tomorrow?' I would say, 'with a kitchenaid, i could, but not with this hand mixer. How about some instant pudding?' I got a kitchenaid that next Christmas icon_smile.gif

This is not the reality in today's world. Many people need replacements after a year of easy use. KA's metal parts are being replaced by plastic parts and are not providing the same quality they used to.

Look into a Sunbeam or Cuisinart stand mixer for $50. Much nicer than a hand mixer and will tie you over without breaking the bank until you're in a better situation. My mom used the same Sunbeam stand mixer the entire time I grew up. Same as my grandparents.

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 57

I justified it this way - I said to my husband, you see how my hand mixer just burned up after a few batches of buttercream? They will all do that, and we will be replacing them all the time. This one won't do that, and it will save us money in the long run!

Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

dulciscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulciscakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 57

i have had my kitchen aid for 5 years now and i love it. that said my grandmother did buy a sunbeam and i used it once, it seemed to struggle with thick or heavy batters and doughs whereas my kitchen aid doesnt. This is an investment piece. I have alot of the extras for it and the only plastic thing i have is the pour shield...they are still made with metal. Worth every cent, purchase yours on layaway or just save a little every week. Poor or not, if you make it very clear to you husband how much you need and want an ugrade he should respect that. Let him know how much you will spend in 5 years replacing other models...that alone would do it for my husband. Good luck!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 57

give him a bowl of butter to turn into icing. that will convince him quick smart that you need a good mixer.
yes, kitchen aid is really the top, but there are plenty of other good machines, more mid-range prices, that will work just as well.
xx

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 57

Mix up as many cakes/cookies/cupcakes as you can mix while your mixer is working, take them to local doctors' offices or business (especially beauty/barbershops) and sell them. You can raise your own money to purchase what you want. Attach a name and phone number to your baked goods and you may generate more business than you bargained for. I believe in women having a way to earn their own money. You will feel independent and everyone is entitled to having something of their own that they can spend however they choose.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 57

A couple of things:

1. You WANT it, but do you really NEED a Kitchenaid? You need a new mixer, but does it HAVE to be a Kitchenaid? If it's not in your budget, but as bad as you want it, you probably shouldn't get it.

2. Don't let the lure of Black Friday override your common sense. Just because something is on sale doesn't mean you have to have it.

3. Don't let a "Cake Cricut" happen to you. A LOT of hobby bakers on this site went out and bought the Cake Cricut because it would be sooo cool and great to have. Two minutes later they were on here with TONS of problems. Two months later they were trying to sell them because they were just a huge "paperweight" to them.

I do have a Kitchenaid. I've had it about 10 years now. I bought it with birthday money I got an employee discount I had at the time.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 57

Realistically, as a hobby baker, how often are you using your mixer?

I agree that a stand mixer is much better than a hand mixer, but depending on how much baking you do, it doesn't necessarily have to to be a KA. There are a number of stand mixers that will work for you. Maybe you need to sell him on one of those instead of a KA if he is concerned about the price.

If you are using your mixer frequently then I would tell him that a KA is a good investment and that you should be able to find a good deal on black Friday.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 57

It's a great investment...my 4.5 qt has lasted since the late 90's. My wonderful brother bought it for me as a high school graduation gift and it's still going icon_biggrin.gif Do you work? Then use some of your own money if he's giving you a hard time icon_mad.gif I'm sure he has hobbies that he spends money on...my DH is a competitive shooter...do you have any idea how much ammunition costs???? icon_wink.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 57

I was one of the Cricut people. I watched the videos and seen the cake challenge where they used it. They made it look like it was super easy to use and that it would actually cut a lot of time off things I needed to make. I can honestly say that you dont have to be an expert or take classes to use a Kitchenaide mixer and it becoming a paperweight. Ofcourse if you dont do much baking or cooking then it is a lot of money for something that might sit there. But if your baking on a regular basis then it can be justified.
But if its too much money for your budget, then I say like the others to get something cheaper for now and save up for it for the future. Its not worth losing your house or not being able to put food on your table over. You can get the same effect with a less priced stand mixer. Will it last as long? Probably not. But if your only using it once in a while then it will last longer.
So I agree. Use your judgement. Discuss the pro's and con's with your husband and then make the decision together.

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 57

Here in NZ Kitchen Aids (artisan) are $900 (which is about US$685). I have seen it cheaper at kitchenaid.com however the warranty would be void and the voltages different, I would need to request for it to be changed. It is such a scary thought to buy something that I wouldn't be covered for in case it needs repairing. I have had the same prob with my hubby, but I can understand his point of view. It is just too expensive and my current stand mixer can produce the same work (just doesn't have the capacity to make bigger batches).

I suggest, like what others have said, ask yourself if this is something you really need right now. Sales recur, so don't feel like you have to get it on Black Friday. Wait for your emotions to subside before deciding on it. Sometimes we get too excited about something, then buy on impulse, then have buyers remorse. I'm sure you'll work it out. All the best!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:01pm
post #16 of 57

I killed three Sunbeams, a couple of others whose brand I can't recall and nearly killed a GE stand mixer before I got the Kitchenaid. And that was just making cookies and doing two cakes a year. A mixer that is basically a hand mixer with a base to set it on and a bowl isn't really a stand mixer.

It's easy to say that any mixer will work, but the average, $50 "stand" mixer from Walmart will not work for very long. They never seemed to go quietly either...always shed their gears into a bowl of cake batter or mashed potatoes, except for the one that melted and smelled so bad we had to open the windows and leave for a few hours.

I'm not suggesting you blow the grocery budget on a mixer...maybe look on craigslist for a used one (I bought one as a backup for $25 that way) or have a yard sale or do some babysitting to make a little money. Or maybe ask your relatives for money instead of gifts for Christmas, and put that together to get your mixer.

Besides making frosting and cake with it, it's great for making bread. My husband loves having homemade burger buns, breadsticks and pan dulce. I also use it to mix tortilla dough, so between that, bread and cookies, my KA is used at least once a day.

This is what I told my husband when I wanted a KA: "If it was a car, it would be a Mercedes. If it was a gun, it would be a Kimber. It's going to last years and I'm going to use it all the time."

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 57

The answer to this one lies in your reality. Is the KA really too much of a strain on your budget? Or is your husband just being cheap because it's something you want not something he wants. If it really is too expensive right now, get another cheap hand mixer and do without. Sometime in the future when you are more plump in the pocketbook you will really appreciate getting a KA. If however your husband is just being cheap with your wants but not his own; well, a KA isn't going to fix that problem. And I have no suggestions for you.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:41pm
post #18 of 57

I've wanted a Kitchenaid for YEARS! but it's not my husband holding me back...it's me! I refuse to pay so much, and I'm picky. I will continue to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a KA, until then, I will use my Black & Decker 6 Speed hand mixer. I got it from Wal Mart and I love it. It came in a storage case and has a spatula/bowl scraping attachment, dough hooks, and whisk. There is also a power boost button you can use for tough mixes.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:43pm
post #19 of 57

KA's are wonderful tools that can really make your life SO much easier. It was actually my hubby's idea to get one a few years ago and I've heard him comment MANY times how much easier MY life has become because of its speed and versatility. I just made noodles with it this week for T'giving with the pasta attachment, in fact. You can use that pasta attachment to roll out fondant as well. We bought my mom a Sunbeam stand mixer about 4 years ago and when I was trying to make whipped cream with it for T'giving it wouldn't even whip the cream. It was horrible. I was upset that we didn't get her the KA.. Hand mixers do burn up if you try to mix anything with substance (large batch of cookie dough, for instance) so if you're constantly replacing hand mixers you might as well get the KA and pay for it ONCE. If there's a way to hold off on something else you've been wanting (not needing) and get the KA, I think you'll both be happy. Your baking life will become easier and hubby will get to enjoy the fruits of your labor! I've had my KA for about 4 years and so far not one issue. My friend in CA has had hers for 25 years and she gets it serviced about every 5 years just for routine maintenance and it's still going strong. Someone mentioned getting the artisan model - that's a great start! Then later if you want and can afford the larger model, go for it.

Good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:54pm
post #20 of 57

IMO - you save your money for it. You do not need to justify your purchases if you save. If you have to take on an extra job to save then just do it. Look for a good deal after you have the money.

I have TWO a Classic and an Artisan and I use both all the time and sometimes at the same time! Best kitchen appliances next to my oven and dish washer.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm
post #21 of 57

Just my opinion.... how many power tools does he have and how offten does he use them? I feel that what I do hobby or not I feel that occational I deserve to buyt something nice that I want and that is it. I am not a selfish person but come on I know my DH has many things that go beyone what I spend and uses it occationally hence the hobbiest it works both ways. Buy it for yourself if you really want it. icon_smile.gif just my oppinion.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #22 of 57

I saved for my Cuisenart (which I love), because it was something I wanted. Save, save & save then wait for it to go on sale! It is MY TOY and DH has his!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:22pm
post #23 of 57

Just some fyi here. First, there is a rebate on KA's right now. Second, when you look at them on Amazon.com, click on each color. Different colors have different prices, so if you aren't as picky about the color to get a better deal, you can do that too.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:25pm
post #24 of 57

Tell your hubby about all the yummy things you can make for HIM with your mixer!!!!

You can knead bread dough for homemade rolls and bread....(nothing like piping hot, buttered bread to melt a man!) You can use the whisk attachment to make some gorgeous whipped fresh potatoes.... it mixes up any dessert....cake, cheesecake, cookies, etc.... You can make meatloaf in it.....

Just convince him its not just for your business...its for your FAMILY!

And there are some pretty decent deals on a regular Kitchenaid mixer on Black Friday....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:48pm
post #25 of 57

Any chance he's stonewalling because Santa is going to bring you one? icon_razz.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Any chance he's stonewalling because Santa is going to bring you one? icon_razz.gif

That's a nice thought, but surely most men aren't THAT organised?! Not the ones I know anyway.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:40am
post #27 of 57

Texas Rose, tell him because he loves you, thats why icon_smile.gif

oops I meant original poster...lol I am tired

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 12:47am
post #28 of 57

Thanks, guys! After I posted this, my dh came up to me and told me he wanted to donate his Christmas money so I could get the mixer, knowing how much I wanted it. I felt so guilty, but he told me he wanted to make me happy. I profusely promised to make him lots of goodies and he seemed happy with that. But I'm going to tighten the belt anyway and try to save up for something he really wants next year. Wish me luck! I'm so bad at saving...

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:14am
post #29 of 57

Congratulations!

KA has a one year, no questions asked warranty.

Costco will allow you to return it within 2 years of purchase date,

Amazon is running a great deal on the KA Pro 600, depending on the color. I think free shipping and hopefully no tax.

Forgot to add...WHAT A GREAT GUY!!!....

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #30 of 57

yaaaayyyy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%