Please Help...

Decorating By Teresa64 Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm by what_a_cake

Teresa64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa64 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a Princess Castle cake for my daughter for her birthday and she does not like fondant. I am new to this - can someone tell me if I use buttercream to frost the cake and add the decorations in fondant? Will the fondant adhere to the frosting and will it look good?
Thanks much for your help!

4 replies
whitelilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitelilly Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Teresa,

I am still new to cake decorating but I`ve done a few cakes iced in buttercream, with fondant decorations on the sides and fondant figures on top and I`ve never had any problems with the fondant sticking to the buttercream. You can use some more buttercream as a glue, or brush a tiny bit of water on the back of your fondant to make it stick.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelilly

Hi Teresa,

I am still new to cake decorating but I`ve done a few cakes iced in buttercream, with fondant decorations on the sides and fondant figures on top and I`ve never had any problems with the fondant sticking to the buttercream. You can use some more buttercream as a glue, or brush a tiny bit of water on the back of your fondant to make it stick.

I would also make the decorations and let them dry before placing them on only because the may bend or wilt depending on what your making. But I wouldn't use water becasue it may slip down after some time and make a pudding of goop.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelilly

Hi Teresa,

I would also make the decorations and let them dry before placing them on only because the may bend or wilt depending on what your making. But I wouldn't use water becasue it may slip down after some time and make a pudding of goop.

sorry puddle...lol icon_lol.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, it'll work just fine thumbs_up.gif
If you apply decorations on a no-crust buttercream like IMB O SMB you won't need to use any "glue", they will stick nicely as is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%