What Should I Do?

Decorating By heroes Updated 23 Nov 2010 , 10:50am by tinygoose

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:06am
post #1 of 6

Hi Ladies, I could really do with some feedback on an issue I have. I have booked a table at our local school fair, I am going to make lots of xmas cakes to sell, as well as giving some of my cards out. I was approached this morning from a member of the PTA and was asked to instead of hiring a table which will cost me £15, how about making 1 big cake as the raffle prize, I can also give out my cards too. Im in a dilema as what to do, Do I save myself the time, money and the cost of ingredients and just make one big cake as well as hand out my cards to people? or do I go for it by making lots of xmas cakes, knowing theres a possibility I make no profit, but also be able to give out my cards? I know confused? yep me too now Ive read my post back icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
Thanks ladies your suggestions are most valuable to me as always
Karen xx

5 replies
heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:11am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroes

Hi Ladies, I could really do with some feedback on an issue I have. I have booked a table at our local school fair, I am going to make lots of xmas cakes to sell, as well as giving some of my cards out. I was approached this morning from a member of the PTA and was asked to instead of hiring a table which will cost me £15, how about making 1 big cake as the raffle prize, I can also give out my cards too. Im in a dilema as what to do, Do I save myself the time, money and the cost of ingredients and just make one big cake as well as hand out my cards to people? or do I go for it by making lots of xmas cakes, knowing theres a possibility I make no profit, but also be able to give out my cards? I know confused? yep me too now Ive read my post back icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
Thanks ladies your suggestions are most valuable to me as always
Karen xx

oops just noticed that Ive posted this in the wrong section sorry icon_redface.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:26am
post #3 of 6

is there a possibility of doing both but on a smaller scale? mybe do cupcakes in stead of cakes to sell? or just smaller or more simple cakes then you intended? and still do a cake for the raffle but just not as extravagant as you planned? otherwise i would probably go for the raffle cake.. but thats only because i like doing more extravagant things. =) well trying to.... hahaha

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:31am
post #4 of 6

If you do one big cake, I'd make it a gift certificate, not a real cake. Maybe use a cake dummy & photo album to show off your work. No one is going to be needed a large cake in the next day or so that hasn't planned for it.

Otherwise if you want to sell them I'd keep the size as small as possible. Cupcakes, mini cakes, decorated cookies....These church/school events the cakes don't go for much, and it usually simple pink swirl frosting wows the socks off them. People want some little treat they can eat on the spot, generally. I'd do 80-90% individual size stuff, and maybe one-two small decorated cakes. Just MHO.

heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:39am
post #5 of 6

I have been told I cannot sell cupcakes as the PTA are running that stall icon_cry.gif I made 15 snowmen yesterday to put ontop of my cupcakes, Oh well I can find another use for them though. So far I have made 15 cupcakes (not allowed) 6, 3" friut cakes, 4, 6" sponge cakes, and one tin loaf size fruit cake, dont know weather to carry on or not.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:50am
post #6 of 6

Ahhh. Didn't realize you'd already baked. Why don't you give the cupcakes to the PTA stall, attach a few bus cards to the box. Sell the smaller cakes you've already made and do a raffle/auction for a birthday cake. Bring some pictures of your work. It will be fine. Think of it more as an opportunity to brand (advertise) yourself, not do much a time to make the big bucks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%