Help With Cake/cupcake Pricing

Decorating By luckystar23 Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm by jmirek2

luckystar23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckystar23 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #1 of 9

I'm new to the business but I've done a few cakes already for friends and my daughter's 3rd and 4th birthday.

I created a facebook page and have two people interested.

One customer wants a boy baby shower cake for 50 people or a combo of a cake for 25 and 25 decorated cupcakes. It will be fondant

The other cake is for a Birthday Party to serve 30 but the picture she sent me has 3 cakes so I need help with the pan size versus serving. It will be buttercream on the outside

Both want vanilla with chocolate filling so I'd love if you can recomend some recipes as well

I tried attaching pictures but nothing happened...help

Thanks is advance for the help

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 9

luckystar23, some of pricing depends on where you're located. What city/state are you in?

luckystar23 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 9

I'm in Miami, FL

Here are the pictures

Baby Shower Cake

Baby Shower Cupcakes

Birthday Cake

arise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arise Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:51am
post #4 of 9

I would suggest cruising the web for other cake business's in your area and seeing what they charge?

olgaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olgaCake Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 9

Based on pictures, I'd charge $3.50 per serving for buttercream cake, and $6.00 per serving for fondant. I am in Michigan. I wouldn't change less then $6 each for those cupcakes.

luckystar23 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgaCake

Based on pictures, I'd charge $3.50 per serving for buttercream cake, and $6.00 per serving for fondant. I am in Michigan. I wouldn't change less then $6 each for those cupcakes.

THanks for the replies, but believe me, they are not gonna pay $6 for each cupcake eventhough it's a lot of work

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 9

I'd be in the $6-$6.50 per cupcake range too. And I would not make them if they wouldn't pay at least that much for them. Their budget is not my problem. Me giving away my work and expertise IS my problem.

I see that FL does permit sales of home produced baked goods. You have a separate production kitchen, are licensed and have liability insurance, correct? Because otherwise it would be risky to sell baked goods. That's what I meant by your location factors in to your pricing. For those lucky enough to be able to get a home license, you have to figure in the cost of inspections, licensing and insurance into your retail costs. For those who are not permitted to sell, then their retail cost has to be $0 in that they can't actually sell product.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 9

I'm kinda of new to the cake decorating thing too and I have a seperate question. I know that they average in my area is around $3.50 for BC cakes, haven't been able to find anything for fondant ones though.

Here's my question: Most of the cakes that I have made have been for friends from work or church. I don't charge them full price because I have guilt. I'm making a cake this weekend for church that should feed about 50 people. That's $175.00 and I cant get past my guilt to charge someone I know that amount. Now a stranger, I wouldn't have a problem. Is this something that you guys have dealt with too. Is it hypocritcal of me to do this?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Christy

jmirek2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmirek2 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

These cakes are amazing! you are very talented

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystar23

I'm in Miami, FL

Here are the pictures

Baby Shower Cake

Baby Shower Cupcakes