Eww!!! A Chicken In My Egg!!

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 11 Feb 2014 , 12:42pm by SystemMod2

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 9:12am
post #31 of 152

Wow I am grossed out and interested all at the same time, lol. I've always heard you should crack eggs into a separate bowl, but never really knew why until now! Thankfully I have yet to find a blood or baby chick in any eggs!! What I have seen though is a thick? white substance, kinda connecting the yolk and the clear. I've always thought that was normal but now I'm wondering, is it?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 10:21am
post #32 of 152

Dh went through the eggs in the store to find the oldest for our deviled eggs! Never done that before, lol! He found some that said Nov 23, the rest had a date halfway through Dec. Just don't tell the inlaws, they might not get it and think DH married a freak! Actually he'll probably tell them all himself, and make us both look like freaks! He just doesn't think.

And yes, eggs are sold refrigerated here in the US. We are taught that you will freaking DIE if you eat unrefrigerated eggs! I guess they have been lying, and my grandma was right? That just figures since the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) is a government organization. Never trust the government! Now I feel bad for trashing all those eggs my grandma gives me every year. Do you guys eat raw eggs in protein shakes or mayonnaise? We are told not to unless they are pasteurized. Same with milk. Raw milk is a big No-No.

And that stringy thing connecting the egg parts is normal. My moms boyfriend is sickened by it and removes it. I tell him I do too when I make his cheesecakes. Yeah, right! I've got time for that! icon_rolleyes.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:09am
post #33 of 152

LOL, I am loving this thread...

I am in Australia too and in my region one major supermarket sells eggs refrigerated (Woolworths) and another just off the shelf (Coles). Go figure.

Technically, you do not NEED to refrigerate eggs, but this is on the assumption you will eat them sooner rather than later (within a day or two). Eggs are porous, and day by day the air sac gets larger and the egg goes off with foreign bacteria entering the shell.

So, having had my own chickens for years and having researched the heck out of this topic, my humble opinion is to buy the freshest eggs you can (either off the shelf, from a farmers market, or out of a refrigerated cabinet) - look at the use-by date; the use by day in Australia is usually five weeks from the day they were laid - and then store them IN THEIR ORIGINAL CARTON in the fridge. Also, ensure you store them pointy end DOWN. Do not put your eggs in an open egg holder in the fridge either, as the eggs will absorb the smells in your fridge.

So if you take weeks to get through a dozen eggs, its important to ensure as long a life as possible by doing this. If youa re like me, and make so many darn cakes these days that I buy my eggs by the tray the same morning they were laid and collected, I just leave them at room temperature as I am sure to use them up within 24 hours. And as we know, its best to have room temp eggs for baking!

Free-range or home grown eggs rock...they are the best thing ever! But it is very important to crack each egg into a separate glass or bowl, because you will get the occasional mongy egg - or one that was laid yonks ago on the farm and has just been collected. ie, its rotten. Trust your nose!!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:35am
post #34 of 152

My understanding is that eggs are sold refridgerated in the US, because they are washed before being packed. Washing an egg leaves it even more vulnerable to bacteria, and therefore should be stored in the fridge.

In the UK and Spain (I have only lived in these 2 countries, can't speak for others), eggs are sold on the supermarket shelf at room temperature. The eggs are not washed - we get a bit of chicken poo or feathers on the shells every now and again, but no big deal! I do store mine in the fridge after purchase though.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:15pm
post #35 of 152

Dayti: Totally agree. The eggs can be stored at room temperature - unwashed. I used to get my eggs from a neighbor, about 100 at a time. I never washed them until I would use them. If I did wash them, they went straight into the fridge. I never had an embryo incident. Only twin yolks occasionally. Now, of course, you should use the eggs within a reasonable amount of time - not let them sit out for weeks on end.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:54pm
post #36 of 152

I raise my own chickens, for eggs, and I have a couple of roosters. In the winter it's not a problem, but regardless, I always float my eggs. If the eggs rise to the surface or turn and bob, they aren't any good. I also crack into a separate bowl, just in case. icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #37 of 152

There has been some very good information here ~ particularly for the "city folk." On refrigeration, the eggs age faster if they are not refrigerated. I prefer eggs from free range or chicken yard chickens. The yolks tend to be more orange and flavorful when a chicken scratches in the dirt and eats bugs and stuff other than chicken feed.

When I was growing up, the chicken always loved kitchen peelings. All raw veggie and fruit scaps went into a basin for the chickies. Take the basin out to chicken yard, toss the contents across the fence and yell, "Chick, chick, chickie." And they would come flying from all directions. The scraps were a feast in their eyes.

Cake_farmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_farmer Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:55pm
post #38 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Thanks for this info! I buy all my eggs from Costco - they get them from a farm about 50 km from our city. You have me thinking that maybe I should mention something about this to Costco.

My response is probably different from others. I am thinking "Good for Costco for sourcing from that small a producer." That means you are getting cage free eggs at the least, probably free range, because there is no reason to keep roosters if you are not going to need them to give the flock warning of predators.

That being said, eggs should be collected at least twice a day. To get to that stage would be at least 7 days. In small scale commercial operations they use nest boxes where the eggs automatically roll away, so it is possible that the egg could get caught, but not really that likely.

I would probably talk to Costco, but be sure that I told them I were happy.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #39 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

And yes, eggs are sold refrigerated here in the US. We are taught that you will freaking DIE if you eat unrefrigerated eggs! I guess they have been lying, and my grandma was right? That just figures since the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) is a government organization. Never trust the government! Now I feel bad for trashing all those eggs my grandma gives me every year. Do you guys eat raw eggs in protein shakes or mayonnaise? We are told not to unless they are pasteurized. Same with milk. Raw milk is a big No-No.

Milk is pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. Drinking raw milk can kill a person. Your grandma was correct with the eggs. LOL. The older generation, like my grandmother, hardly refrigerated anything, including butter, and she lived to a ripe age of 96. My great grandmother lived to 103. I definitely don't knock what they did. It worked. icon_smile.gif

au_decorator_76 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:07pm
post #40 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_farmer

Quote:

Thanks for this info! I buy all my eggs from Costco - they get them from a farm about 50 km from our city. You have me thinking that maybe I should mention something about this to Costco.

My response is probably different from others. I am thinking "Good for Costco for sourcing from that small a producer." That means you are getting cage free eggs at the least, probably free range, because there is no reason to keep roosters if you are not going to need them to give the flock warning of predators.

Agreed!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:57am
post #41 of 152
Quote:

Quote:

That being said, eggs should be collected at least twice a day. To get to that stage would be at least 7 days. In small scale commercial operations they use nest boxes where the eggs automatically roll away, so it is possible that the egg could get caught, but not really that likely.

I would probably talk to Costco, but be sure that I told them I were happy.

I suspect that the dealio is the Costco chickens were sourced for a barn-laid operation at a very young age. The chicken s.exing might have accidentally missed a male baby chick (they all look the same for a number of weeks) and it got amongst the female hens. So with these huge egg operations it is possible a rooster could've been in amongst a huge bunch of hens who are moved in and out of barns in enormous flocks.

BTW this 'barnlaid' option for egg production is not an ideal social arrangement for chickens, it causes them a lot of stress to be in big flocks like that as they do not get their own territory and the task of deciding on pecking order is impossible in such numbers. Its why I like keeping my own chooks - they live as a family in a small, safer group without a rooster, and I know what they eat...honestly, they become pets after a short while!

Oh, and "chook" is an affectionate Aussie term for chicken. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #42 of 152

I can ABSOLUTELY believe they missed a male when they were chicken "sexing". I saw "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe last night and they were chicken sexing. They would pick the poor things up by the wing and squeeze their tummies to make them poop and scrape their "vents" (butt-holes) on the edge of a can,(to get the poop off) then flip them over and squeeze their "vents" wrong side out like a pimple to look for a "microscopic bump" inside of them. Bump = male.

It looked horrible, and I felt so sorry for them! I'm no bleeding heart, I believe God created most animals to be food, and i have no problem eating them, but I want them to be treated humanely until butchered. I know that squeezing and "vent" scraping and all that cannot be comfortable and I don't believe for a minute that they are immune to it.

Even Mike said something about it. They were cheeping frantically and Mike asked if it hurt them and the guy said "No". Then Mike looked at the camera and said (with a wry look om his face) "I guess those are squeals of joy then?" Yeah, sure. icon_confused.gif

Cake_farmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_farmer Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #43 of 152

A good rule of thumb is one day on the counter = one week in the fridge. We will occassionally leave eggs out for 3 or 4 days if we are going to hardboil them and have no older eggs in the fridge. Typically we mark a dozen from our ladies and leave them for three weeks to a month in the fridge, before hardboiling them.

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:56pm
post #44 of 152

I just had a REALLY gross thought after reading all the posts on this thread......what if, instead of using that egg for a cake, you BOILED it!!! YUCK!!

Annabakescakes Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:27pm
post #45 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolLee

I just had a REALLY gross thought after reading all the posts on this thread......what if, instead of using that egg for a cake, you BOILED it!!! YUCK!!

Oh man....That really is a gross thought!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:43pm
post #46 of 152
Quote:

A good rule of thumb is one day on the counter = one week in the fridge. We will occassionally leave eggs out for 3 or 4 days if we are going to hardboil them and have no older eggs in the fridge. Typically we mark a dozen from our ladies and leave them for three weeks to a month in the fridge, before hardboiling them.

thumbs_up.gif Yup! and if I am not doing a lot of baking, I will write the date on the egg, so I make sure I use the oldest first.

candeygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candeygirl Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm
post #47 of 152

Oh my gosh, I feel for you! I've never experienced anything like that ever, but I think it would traumatize me for life! Thanks for the heads up, now I'll be a lot more cautious when cracking my eggs!

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:06am
post #48 of 152
Quote:

And that stringy thing connecting the egg parts is normal. My moms boyfriend is sickened by it and removes it. I tell him I do too when I make his cheesecakes. Yeah, right! I've got time for that! icon_rolleyes.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That thing grosses me out too. I will fish it out for 5 minutes if I have to. Ever since a coworker called it an umbilical cord..lol

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:38am
post #49 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinaMomof3

Quote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That thing grosses me out too. I will fish it out for 5 minutes if I have to. Ever since a coworker called it an umbilical cord..lol

lol! I call it an umbilical cord as well! I can't see it if I whip it up, so I just don't bother with it, even though I think it is gross too. When I used to mix my batter with the wire beater, I would lift up the beater and the little umbilical cord would be dangling from the end! I am so happy it doesn't get caught on the flat beater!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #50 of 152

Once I cracked a egg into my meatloaf mixture and it was BLACK.........never crack an egg into anything but a mixing bowl first after that, and that was 40 years ago....ewwwwwww is right.....I dont know how this egg got black but ewwwwwwwww too hahaha

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:23am
post #51 of 152

Feather colors does not mean color of eggs.

I raise my own hens and I get white eggs from cream/black/brown hens, brown eggs out of 'Splash' who's almost all white, and blue and green eggs from my multi-colored hens.

Always break eggs into a separate bowl, like so many have said. I had a fresh egg the other day that was almost covered w/blood spots, but normally I rarely have a blood spot.

au_decorator_76 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #52 of 152

Color of egg is based on breed.... not color of feathers. You can usually tell by their side wobbles.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 5:48am
post #53 of 152

I've seen it many years ago when we raised our own chickens but not in any store bought eggs. And it is gross beyond words. I buy my eggs at Costco too, so I will be breaking them in a separate bowl for sure.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 6:10am
post #54 of 152
Quote:

I saw "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe last night and they were chicken sexing....
....but I want them to be treated humanely until butchered.

They don't all use the vent method, some use the feather method for some breeds/hybrids. The Discovery Channel's "How It's Made" shows the feather method... maybe this is more humane!
See for yourself... it's interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zbkkkn_PxE&NR=1

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:52am
post #55 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

But which came first..................?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
seriously good point!
This all reminds me of my Dad's former co-worker, who was from the Phillipines(sp?) He used to bring in all these amazing native dishes into work for my dad to try....the only one my dad couldn't bring himself to eat was some dish that contained duck embryos...bleh tapedshut.gif barf!

Well, I live in the United States and a certain nationality eat chicken embryos all the time. Common practice! YUk. Someone even got their black dog stolen from the driving range(golf) which proved later to have been someone's dinner. Same nationality! Ahhhh, living in paradise.......... icon_cool.gif

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 8:19am
post #56 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808hedda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

But which came first..................?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
seriously good point!
This all reminds me of my Dad's former co-worker, who was from the Phillipines(sp?) He used to bring in all these amazing native dishes into work for my dad to try....the only one my dad couldn't bring himself to eat was some dish that contained duck embryos...bleh tapedshut.gif barf!

Well, I live in the United States and a certain nationality eat chicken embryos all the time. Common practice! YUk. Someone even got their black dog stolen from the driving range(golf) which proved later to have been someone's dinner. Same nationality! Ahhhh, living in paradise.......... icon_cool.gif

Yes its called "balut".(yes, Phillipino)...sorry if I spelled it wrong....somthing I could never bring myself to eat.....and dogs are a primary protein source for many poor countries....so are cats. Its a cultural difference...Americans/Euros eat cows/swine, etc....Asian ppl eat dogs/cats, etc. Its all a matter of culture....one is no better than another.

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:34am
post #57 of 152

eeeewwww I dont want to read anymore lol, eggs will never be the same again

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:11am
post #58 of 152

that's why i never crack my egg directly into my mixing bowl...although, thank goodness, this hasn't happened to me...yet icon_rolleyes.gif ... but i happen to crack open an egg that was spoiled rotten...ewww!...the smell was horrifying icon_mad.gif ...apparently, it had a small crack which i didn't notice w/c caused it to rot icon_sad.gif

bobbie

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:45pm
post #59 of 152

Oops, on feather color= shell color. Breed is the correct answer. Our reds had brown eggs, and our whites had white eggs. Since we never had any of the fancy chickens, I forgot that it had to do with breed.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 2:58pm
post #60 of 152

I recall the first time I had this happen to me. I was a teen and completely grossed out. Thanks for the reminder for the egg cracking though. I've gotten lazy. I need to start cracking in another bowl first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%