Urgent Help!! Black Fondant!

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 10:50pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 8

I've put off purchasing black fondant until last minute! My closest Michael's store told me they had TWO black fondants in stock but when I went pick them up on my lunch break, they were gone! My nearest cake store is 45+ minutes away and I can't get there before they close tonight.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that you can make black fondant with a chocolate fondant base. Every time I add black coloring to white it comes out gray.

Will this work? Will I be able to make black if I purchase chocolate fondant??

PLEASE HELP! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 8

when you make your fondnat add the black coloring to the liquid before adding the sugar. It takes a lot less coloring, less kneeding and you get a much truer dark color.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 8

I don't normally use a liquid when I make my fondant... am I supposed to?

rachelbius06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelbius06 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 8

i just made fondant yesterday for the very first time and making black was very easy. when making the i melted chocolate chips and added them to the melted marshamallow, then added the black gel coloring and sugar. turned out perfectly!

rachelbius06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelbius06 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 8

i just made fondant yesterday for the very first time and making black was very easy. when making the i melted chocolate chips and added them to the melted marshamallow, then added the black gel coloring and sugar. turned out perfectly!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 8

I make black fondant out of wilton purchased white fondant all the time. Just keep adding more gel black food coloring until your gray becomes black. Youre just not adding enough coloring. Sometimes a whole jar is needed. Add a little cornstarch when it gets sticky and messy.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 8

You don't have to use a liquid, no, but the point where your ingredients ARE liquid (for example, your marshmallows are melted) is the best for adding your color. It takes substantially less kneading afterwards, as a prior poster mentioned.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

Oh, I gotcha. I always add my color when my marshmallows are melted - I don't have the muscle to work it in after I add sugar!!

I'm going to try chocolate fondant & black coloring - I'm pressed for time tonight so hopefully using chocolate fondant that I can purchase will cut out a few steps! Thanks for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%