How Far In Advance Can I Stack?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 8

I just stacked a 9" & 6" round, both were layered with ganache & covered with fondant within an hour, in the time it took me to decorate, I stacked, but Im just a bit paranoid because I stacked with mcdondalds straws for the first time as opposed to thick wooden dowels.. The bottom cake is a bit on the soft-side
The cake needs to stay like that for 2 days so I'm not sure if I should dismantle it and put it together again later?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 8

Why is the cake finished two days in advance? icon_eek.gif

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 8

If I were you, I would replace the straw with dowel. If you gonna be eaten the cake today, I would say it's should be okay. Two days seems too long for a Mc Donald straws.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Why is the cake finished two days in advance? icon_eek.gif

2 days isn't that far in advance to a cake finished.

If your cake is properly supported it should hold up. You could always remove the top layer and restack if you are really that worried about it or just keep an eye on it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 8

I like to store my cakes in the frige--very well wrapped though for that length of time.

Sweet_Toof Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

Cake is finished 2 days in advance cos I had no idea I was actually going to get it finished that soon!
They're muscakes and they last quite a while, in fact I think their flavour peaks on the third day.
If it were a soft white cake I'd be concerned.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 8

You said the bottom cake is soft, so in that case I'd probably dismantle. If it were a firm/heavy cake then it might be fine.

(PS re: the two day thing...some recipes are actually better left for a couple days before eating. The mud cake recipe I use is one of them - I can leave it out on the bench for a week or more and it's still absolutely perfect. So having the cake made two days in advance is not necessarily a big deal)

Sweet_Toof Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 8

How soft is too soft to leave it stacked?
It's a white mud but it is a bit more sponger than the choc mud which is the top cake.
It's been nearly 12hrs stacked and still seems ok. It needs to see us through another 29hrs...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%