Baking Question.....help Please

Baking By CookieCrush Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm by LindaF144a

CookieCrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrush Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:45am
post #1 of 9

my question is.... do different brand baking powders bake differently. see my cookies. (sugar cookies) all turned out with little spots on the bottom. almost like burned . im a little concerned. i tossed the whole bunch. i thought it was from my rolling pin. it has red painted hand grips. but i baked one with out using the pin and its the same way.

8 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:55am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrush

my question is.... do different brand baking powders bake differently. see my cookies. (sugar cookies) all turned out with little spots on the bottom. almost like burned . im a little concerned. i tossed the whole bunch. i thought it was from my rolling pin. it has red painted hand grips. but i baked one with out using the pin and its the same way.

What colour were the little spots ?

Did they look like burnt bits?

Could it have been butter spots from your butter not being creamed enough in the beginning?

Bluehue

CookieCrush Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 9

they do look like burnt spots. but def not butter. they are like tiny grain spots. almost like sugar. but i know its not butter. i used a diff baking powder. could it be that. Ive never used it before.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:22am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrush

they do look like burnt spots. but def not butter. they are like tiny grain spots. almost like sugar. but i know its not butter. i used a diff baking powder. could it be that. Ive never used it before.

Hmmm, yes, it could be - i am thinking it wasn't incorporated thoroughly enough into the cookie mixture
Ohhh, was it *indate*?

B;uehue

CookieCrush Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 9

CookieCrush Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 9

o i think it was the baking powder. i did have like a teaspoon of the other brand tossed into the mix. i think they caused a reaction. guess ill just start over lol. thanks for the help ppl

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 9

Did you grease the cookie sheet? Did you use a spray? Sometimes the spray beads up--think that might be a factor?

I mean baking powder can mess things up but.....
hey--y'know what I just thought of??? Did you sift your flour? I got a bad bag of flour last year and I din realize it till I had made my stuff. It was all lumpy and I had to toss it all. grr

But as far as baking powder--I mean wouldn't it have to be through out the cookie not just the bottom? Well what kind of cookie sheet is it? You think the cookie reacted to the metal?

And I mean if there's a ratio problem with baking soda it can turn stuff green but spots?

Was the baking powder smoothy smooth or was it grainy?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

Can you give us a picture?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 9

Did you use use flour to roll out your cookies? If you did then little bits of it could stay stuck to the bottom of the cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%