Would You Do Round Or Square?

Decorating By RebelChick Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm by RebelChick

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:25am
post #1 of 7

I have a bride who has a box she wants to use as a base. It's very pretty and I know it will be super cute. She wants to do a round 4 tier cake on top of this. I'm not sure how this will look and since I know she is very picky, I want to make sure which will look best. The design is very simple, teal (with brown undertones if that makes any sense) with a 1 1/2 inch band of chocolate fondant wrapped around the bottom of each tier. She also wants like a vine or tree branch going up the front of the cake. She is going to put silk flowers on it after delivery (I wish she would just let me do some simple flowers in fondant or gumpaste.). Which would you all suggest? Round or square?

6 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:49am
post #2 of 7

Either would be fine, its kinda hard to say without seeint he box

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 7

Is it a square box - or a round hat box shape?
Could make all the differance...

Bluehue

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:22am
post #4 of 7

I love square cakes, easier to cover and much more modern and fresh looking. Most of my clients are going with square these days. But as someone else said, without knowing more, hard to say.
Try stacking the empty cake pans on the box and see how they look. I like doing that as it gives you more of a visual.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 11:57am
post #5 of 7

A round cake actually looks great on a square base. I have had a few cakes lately that are 3 round tiers and then the 4th tier on the bottom is square. It looks really nice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 7

I prefer doing square cakes, personally, but round cakes on top of a square base has been around for a LONG time. It will be fine.

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to everyone. The box is rectangular-ish, but about the size of a hat box. To me, it looks kind of dark, but it's not my call on that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%