Annoyed With Unhelpful People

Lounge By cai0311 Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm by cai0311

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 16

I have received serveral PM's and emails from people from this site asking questions about cakes (mainly the All White Wedding Cake in my pics) and delivery questions... I try really hard to explain in an understandable way and share what little knowledge I have.

I PM someone over a week ago with two specific questions about a picture they posted. Nothing so far. I am so bummed. I really wanted an answer to my questions. It would have taken like 1 maybe 2 minutes to respond. Or it they didn't want to share, say so. I would rather have that than be ignored.

15 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 16

Sorry that you haven't gotten a response - maybe that person is offline or something. I had to check out your wedding cake - wow! No wonder you got lots of requests for info! Lovely!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 16

There are a lot of people who don't check their messages on here regularly. I have two email addresses, so my notifications from here go one place (along with anything else "automated"...and I have another email account that I use for corresponding with close friends, my kid's school, etc.

I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 16

You can check to see if they've recieved the message. If it's in your outbox, they haven't recieved it. If it's in your sent box, then it's been read.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You can check to see if they've recieved the message. If it's in your outbox, they haven't recieved it. If it's in your sent box, then it's been read.

Wow! I didn't know that! I looked and a message I sent to someone quite a while ago was actually read and ignored, too! I had assumed they were no longer using the site... thanks for this info!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 16

I've wondered if the PM is even working. When someone asks me a question via a comment on one of my cakes I usually answer via PM. This happened a few weeks ago so I PMed an answer and then the person posted the same question in the forums. I was hoping that she hadn't received it since I'd hate to think she couldn't take a second to type thank you and hit send icon_sad.gif even if my answer wasn't what she was looking for.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:20am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I've wondered if the PM is even working.

I send and receive pm's every day. icon_smile.gif

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 16

There are times when I will get an PM or an Email or what ever and read it at that moment, but realise that I don't have the time needed to give a good answer, detailed, answer or I'm looking on my phone with the tiny keyboard and I'll tell myself I'll answer it later. And if I don't leave myself an reminder somewhere there are times when I have forgotten to do it.

We all have busy lives, many people on this board do run cake businesses, have full time jobs, families and so forth. And everyone comes to the message board for different reasons. There may be people that want to just share their pictures, but because of every day living don't participate in the discussions or answering messages. To me it doesn't make them rude, unhelpful or what ever. We all get different things out of being here.

As far as asking a questions, you can always post a link to the picture and ask your question on the forums. I'm sure there is someone here that could help you, give suggestions or share what they would do or how they would do something.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

There are times when I will get an PM or an Email or what ever and read it at that moment, but realise that I don't have the time needed to give a good answer, detailed, answer or I'm looking on my phone with the tiny keyboard and I'll tell myself I'll answer it later. And if I don't leave myself an reminder somewhere there are times when I have forgotten to do it.

Same here, i'll read the PM and not have time to reply to it, so i say i'll come back later and then forget that i have a PM to reply to until I get another PM from someone and go check my messages. Nothing against who sent me, i'm more than happy to share what i know (as i've learned so much on here) but sometimes i just forget.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

I have received serveral PM's and emails from people from this site asking questions about cakes (mainly the All White Wedding Cake in my pics) and delivery questions... I try really hard to explain in an understandable way and share what little knowledge I have.
And i am sure that most people are very gratefull for your responses -
That white cake is stunning by the way
So love the flower on top - icon_smile.gif

I PM someone over a week ago with two specific questions about a picture they posted. Nothing so far. I am so bummed. I really wanted an answer to my questions. It would have taken like 1 maybe 2 minutes to respond. Or it they didn't want to share, say so. I would rather have that than be ignored.

Could you ask on the forum - *how is this done* if it is a particular method?
Perhaps others might be able to help you - it might worth asking - - hope so.

Bluehue

cai0311 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 16

I checked the outbox/sentbox thing (which I didn't know about, so thanks) and the PM is in the sent box.

I know people are busy, but it wouldn't have taken more than a minute or two to answer. I have an almost identical setup in two weeks and really wanted to know how it worked out for them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 16

Sometimes when I go through my email really quickly I have to prioritize and answer the questions form clients first, then leave the ones from people asking questions like yours for later. The person you pm'ed might just be busy with other things.

And sometimes I don't answer at all, like the person who sent me a request last week for business cards, copies of my order forms, recipes for cakes and icings, and any other information I wanted to send them so they could start their own cake business. Sorry but I don't have time to respond to that, and I don't even know waht I'd say anyway. Better to not answer! icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:09am
post #13 of 16

Also bear in mind what time of year it is. I pride myself on responding almost as soon as I open the email or PM. Many times, if I can't give a good response that second, i will try to send a quick note to let them know "Got your msg .... will respond shortly".

But right now is busy holiday baking time, shopping time, and (in my case) end of the semester final papers due and exams to study for. I just responded to a couple of emails that have been in my inbox for 5-6 days but it just took me that long to be able to put together a good response.

And I'm on here all the time. icon_redface.gif It very well could be much longer for those who have a life and don't "live" on this site like some of us! icon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:28am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Also bear in mind what time of year it is. I pride myself on responding almost as soon as I open the email or PM. Many times, if I can't give a good response that second, i will try to send a quick note to let them know "Got your msg .... will respond shortly".

But right now is busy holiday baking time, shopping time, and (in my case) end of the semester final papers due and exams to study for. I just responded to a couple of emails that have been in my inbox for 5-6 days but it just took me that long to be able to put together a good response.

And I'm on here all the time. icon_redface.gif It very well could be much longer for those who have a life and don't "live" on this site like some of us! icon_lol.gif

Hard to believe some people don't "live" on this site! icon_lol.gif

I'm always amazed at the number of people who upload absolutely gorgeous cakes and I've never heard their name in my life. Also by the people who've been members since 2006 and are still considered "Newbies".

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 16

You must realize that other people have lives too (not saying in a mean way), and you may not always get as quick a response as you might like. It could be that they are ill, have a loved one that is ill, a death in the family...(again not in a mean way) but, your life doesn't revolve around theirs or vice versa. I really don't mean to sound well mean, but I think sometimes we need to stop and think.

cai0311 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 16

I tend to forget that this is a busier than usual time for people. I do not participate in the holidays, so for me this is the time of year that things slow down (not as many wedding orders plus time off work at my day job).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%