Help With Solar System

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 11:28am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am working on a solar system cake for the end of this month. I have almost all of my design squared away except for the planets. I'd like to do them in fondant like the ones shown here:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1573036

I PMd the creator about a week ago, but she hasn't responded. I figured I would go ahead and start researching and I was wondering if you guys would help me.

She mentions in the comments that she painted them with food coloring. Would this be straight gel paste coloring or do you think it's mixed with vodka or something and then painted on? Also, any ideas about how to do the continents on Earth or the rings around the other planets? I'm assuming she just formed continents and smushed them on the planet. I can't be sure from the photo.

How do you make fondant pieces shiny? Do you think they were steamed or is that confectioner's glaze? I'm thinking it's some kind of glaze.

Thanks in advance for any help!

AC

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 5

you can paint on either with straight colour, or with colour with alcohol, either can work.

continents - possibly just painted on. or else make approximate shapes and stick on - but they look very accurate in that pic - id give it a roll so they dont stand up too much.

rings - uranus looks like a white sausage of fondant has been stuck to the side. saturn looks a bit more solid - maybe a disc of chocolate or gumpaste, with either side of the planet stuck to it?

definatly thinking with that level of shine its glaze - or the picture was taken immediately after steaming/ rubbing with crisco.
xx

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 5

I don't think you can use Uranus as a planet anymore, can you?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 6:29am
post #4 of 5

Yes, it's Pluto that's been "demoted".

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 11:28am
post #5 of 5

Ok even though Pluto has been excommunicated, I have been asked to put him on anyway. And truthfully, he will always be in my solar system!

What's funny about this guy (a good friend of mine), is that he has a t-shirt where all the planets are eating lunch at a table, and Pluto's by himself at another table with his lunch tray. Horrible!

Here's the link to the shirt. Just click the picture to enlarge.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3328714

Thanks for your replies about the design part. I've never painted on fondant before so I don't know what to expect. I think I'm making a batch of Michele Foster's fondant for this one. The cake will be BC.

Thanks,
AC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%