Classic Southern Desserts

Lounge By AmysCakesNCandies Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm by cabecakes

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 14

OK, so I have a client who wants a pastry/ dessert display. They are having a "down home southern" wedding in an old log cabin. For diinner they are having sunday supper classics like fried chicken etc. They wanted desserts that follow the same vein, I am already thinking mini cheesecakes, red velvet cake balls and pecan pie bites, but i'm out of ideas an need at least 2 more items. I'm looking so some classic southern desserts that can be made in a one or two bit portion and eaten without utensils.

13 replies
vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 14

When I think of southern desserts, I think of banana pudding, peach or blackberry cobbler and pecan pie (which you've got covered).

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 14

Rum cake, german chocolate cake, individual banana puddings, lemon tart with blueberries - i did a "dessert tasting" with a southern theme for a bridal party. It was amazing!

For the rum cake and german chocolate cake, make these in mini muffin pans, or in a loaf pan and cut into bite sized pieces.

For banana puddings use the phyllo cups, put a banana slice in bottom and the filling then top with a cookie then the merange and toast lightly

lemon tarts, in the mini muffin pan, then add the lemon filling and the sugar crusted blueberry on top. YUM

vicki3336 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry, hit enter too soon. Don't know what you could do for the banana pudding, but maybe just individual fruit tarts or turnovers.

vicki3336 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 14

Love the idea for the banana puddings. Gotta try that!

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 14

The hardest part is finding desserts that don't require utensils. Apple pie, peach cobbler, banana pudding, etc. all need spoons. Maybe you could do some dessert cups and have little plastic spoons on the table. And I don't know if I would consider cheesecake to be southern. Definitely not "deep south". Sweet potato pie or apple turnovers, those are more "deep south".

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 14

Butternut Squash Pie is alway yummy with some whip cream on top with a sprinkle of cinnamon. You could protably make them in mini cupcake size.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 14

we have a "Leroy's Sweet Potato Shack" here that sells Southern desserts. His menu is Sweet potato CAKE, key lime cake, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, etc. Check out their menu here...I hear it's amazing and really authentic...other than that I dont know! I'm from CA! icon_sad.gif

http://www.sweetpotatoshack.com/Menu.html

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 14

When my cousin got married she had bite sized pecan pies,red velvet cupcakes,and mini tarts with Grandmas banana pudding in them.She got married in Kershaw South Carolina and you don't get more southern than that!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 14

I grew up in the south and the "Church Mothers" classic desserts were peach cobbler, apple pie, banana pudding, sweet potato pie, apple turnovers, and pound cake.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 14

Hummingbird cake, strawberry shortcakes, shoofly pie, custard pie (tarte a la bouie, we called it), maybe even candies like pecan pralines, fudge or turtles

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #12 of 14

fried peach or apple pies ! yummmm !

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #13 of 14

My family grew up eating Chocolate pie, lemon pie, pecan pie and mincemeat pie. We are in Cajun Country, about as south as you can get.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 14

You do Lemon Tassie Cups. I have a recipe from Paula Deen.

Lemon Tassie Cups

To make your tassie cups you combine:
1 three ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I prefer real butter)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt.

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour. Form pastries in 24 small balls; press with fingers intothe bottom and up the sides of ungreased miniture muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.

For Lemon Curd Filling:

3 Large Lemons, zested and juiced
1 Cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 Cup butter, melted

Place the zest and sugar in a food processor and process until combined. Add the lemon juice and eggs and process until smooth. Slowly add butter to the mixture, pulsing as you go. Place the mixture in the top of a double boiler and cook over simmering water for about 5 minutes, until thick.

Remove tassie cups from muffin tins and spoon in filling and serve.

Note: Lemon Curd Filling will keep in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

These are always a big hit in my household with adults and kids alike. You could also fill them with your banana pudding to make a banana cream pie as well. No spoons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%