Private Health Insurance Question

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering if anyone here purchases individual health insurance for themselves, or their family. I am thinking about purchasing some at some point in the near future, but I can't seem to find any online that will also cover pregnancy. Thank you.

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 7

Does your state have an insurance commission? If so, they can tell you which companies are even allowed to do business in your state, and can usually give you a telephone number to reach them at.

Be careful with online quotes and what you see on television. I contacted a company about dental/optical insurances through toll-free number they offered on a tv ad. They quoted a very low-ball price on tv for their policy, but when I called they said "Sorry, but we don't offer that policy in Pennsylvania. We do have other plans we can provide." When I asked about price, it was triple what was quoted on television. I called out state consumer protection bureau, but they said there was nothing they could do about it unless someone actually buys one of the inflated-priced policies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 7

i suggest shopping around with some local insurance agents. I know it is a little bit more of a hassle, but having someone that i can actually go talk to about any questions i have (or when the insurance screws up my agent gets it straightened out) it is well worth having someone local to get it taken care of.

I am currently still paying through cobra for my health insurance (was laid off about 8-9 months ago) but i have already shopped around with some different agents about what it will cost to go on my own health plan when the government subsidy runs out and my current rates triple.

If you want to go with some place online you may also want to call about covering pregnancy, even if it's not listed they may offer it. With all of the new health care things that are changing I don't even know if places are offering it w/o being in a group policy. (like the kids not being able to get their own policy anymore w/o a group policy-with the health care changes most companies aren't even offering kids individual policies anymore)

TheCakerator Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

thank you for the replies. I will look into the insurance commission. I do not work outside of the home, or have an in home business. I want to have insurance though and through my husbands work it is outrageous, over 100.00 A WEEK just for me to be added. Most of the online plans on line state right in black and white print that pregnancy is not covered. I guess I will keep checking around. Thanks again!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 7

Not sure if Blue Cross Blue Shield is in your state, but if they are you may want to check them out. My Husband & I are both independent bussinees owners so we have to carry our own health insurance. We have the BCBS Blue Advantage plan and they did have options for pregenancy covereage (although it added quite a bit to the price)

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 7

My husband is self-employed, so we have individual insurance plans. When I was shopping around, I went to a website (I think it was einsurance or something like that). I just googled individual health insurance. If you do this, be prepared...your phone will ring off the hook with call from agents!

I just chose a local agent and he worked with me to get the plan I wanted.

Good Luck!

TheCakerator Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for the replies. Yes, we do have BCBS in our state. That is who my husband has through his work place and the one that wants so much money for me to just be added.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%