Never Done This Before! Help!!!

Decorating By lyndsaykay Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 1:26am by mommakabob

lyndsaykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndsaykay Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 4

Maybe I'm in over my head- I am planning on making my daughters birthday cake. The theme is "under the sea" and I found a great cake recipe on this site... And I've learned SO much already. Now I don't know anything about which type of frosting and fondant to use. My vision is a rectangular base cake and maybe carve the base so the borders are wavy all the way around??I have a sphere cake mold which I was planning on filling one half with batter and then putting that on the base and carving it like a rock??? Also was going to frost the whole thing to look like an ocean with waves and was going to stick a Barbie doll or something similiar into the "rock" and pipe a mermaid tail onto the rock to look like a mermaid. I hope that made sense?! Well, I have no idea if I should use buttercream or fondant and no idea on any well recommends recipes? Any tips, thoughts, ideas, criticisms would be greatly appreciated as this truly my first attempt at anything like this. I plan to expand from this experience, and I consider myself a very experienced baker aside from extravagant cakes (I know this may be anything but extravagant to some of you experts). Thank you do much icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 4

Im a fan of fondant covered cakes, something about them appears more professional IMO.
But I think if you're going to be adding lots of blue & white for water.. maybe you could slap lots of buttercream... or piping jelly for the wet look...

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 4

Sounds like you are planning for something similar to this

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

Maybe it will save you some work if you make the rock out of RKT and cover it in fondant. I just did a mermaid type cake and covered the cakes in light blue, then did two (different hues of blue)wavy strips around the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%