Shipping A Cake.... Any Suggestions, Please?

Decorating By Cranny Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm by mimi1218

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone.... I've been asked (by a facebook gamer-friend) to ship a cake for his son's 5th birthday coming up on the 27th. I've always posted my cakes on my personal FB page, and he would like to have one made. He has even offered to pay shipping.

I've read up on the packaging - I think we are good on that. But WHO would I ship it through? I've checked with FedEx, UPS and USPS, and based on 7lbs (cake, icing & Packaging) from my zip to his, overnight, we are looking at $358, $153 and $80 respectively.

Also, even tho stamped FRAGILE and/or THIS END UP, they of course can't guarantee me that it will arrive undamaged.

How do you ship cakes? Is it possible? One idea that I had was maybe to buy a more disposable cake pan, bake it, frost the top/decorate top and ship it IN the pan, with the lid and other packaging. Kind of like those - ready to eat brownies/cakes that you find at the grocery? Maybe that way the cake would almost be 'sealed' into the pan and arrive safely?

What's the thoughts on this? Any info would help. If we don't do a cake (which he would prefer) he wants me to do some decorated sugar cookies...which I've mailed before with no problems.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

it is possible (although i still think its risky), but it is pricey, thats the way it goes.
its a lot of weight, and fast shipping always costs loads.
where does he live? do you have a friend/ relative/ student with some spare time that could do the drive for you?
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 4

don't ship a cake unless you do door to door shipping which costs a fortune.

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

I dont think a cake is shippable. Take it as a compliment that they want your cake, but consider recommending a fellow CC'er from their area.
If you ship a cake, you run the risk that they'll get an undesireable product. That would be disappointed and you would too because it woundn't have come out the way you wanted.

I do not think it is worth the risk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%