How Do I Sequence This Cake?

Decorating By opheliajoy Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 5:30am by steffiessweet_sin_sations

opheliajoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
opheliajoy Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

My first fondant project ever... we're going to try the snake by LizzyB   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_476943.html. I made the MMF last night, but now am a loss at which steps I do.

The party is Friday night. How much of it can I do today?
Can I make the whole thing and freeze it? Or just the scales? or what???? We'd prefer not to have to work on it Friday at all.

Help me sequence: bake the cake, crumb coat cake, cut scales, assemble cake, etc...

I'm having some last minute jitters!

4 replies
fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

I usually bake my cakes the first few days of the week before the cake is due - usually Monday / Tuesday (since I work fulltime, I can only do cakes in the evening). The next day, I make my frostings / fillings - I bet you could make the scales and keep them in a ziploc bag. Then I would spend Thursday assembling the cake and adding last minute decorations.

Good luck! It's a cute cake!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 5

Myself I'd make the scales as I applied them to the cake so you get the right curve so they all fit. Start doing everything-- game on!!!

opheliajoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
opheliajoy Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the responses!

We actually decided to use rice krispie treats for the snake inside instead of cake, and lay that on a sheet cake. He is having two parties, back to back, so this way he can (hopefully) have the snake for both cakes...

We used Macsmom's butterMMF recipe...and figured we can risk freezing it because she does! We finished the snake, save the eyes and tongue, last night.
K8mephis was right in that the scales we made right away fit/formed the best... were by far the easiest to work with. We made some earlier in the day and had them in ziplocks, but before we put them in, they sat for 1/2 hr or so while we stamped many of them out. THOSE were a PITA to work with. Evidently, they had dried enough to be stubborn before we put them in the bags. They worked, but they were just a lot slower to work with.

I am hooked on fondant now! What a pleasure (and a tasty treat).

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 5:30am
post #5 of 5

do post pics when your done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%