Camo Cake

Decorating By traiaberg Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm by CocoaBlondie

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 19

I am making a chocolate buttercream 8" frosted 2 layer cake and need to have it look like camo. I have seen countless ones on CC and I love so many that are some and just look perfect. I know how to get it smooth with the viva papertowel but how do I get the colors on so they are not blended into each other. Any suggestions or techneique? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Toni

18 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 19

I'm working on a camo sheet cake right now. I mixed black, beige, hunter green and brown in separate bowls and simply iced it in sections with different colors. You have to be careful but its not hard to do. The smoothing has to be done with a papertowel after its dry though. Dont try to get it smooth with your spatula. Let it crust and then viva papertowel it. I did the sides of the cake in the camo colors then iced the top in hunter green andput a hunter green border around the bottom. I'm working on an orange sportsmans fleurdilis right now to put on the top.

traiaberg Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you Patti for the help I think one other person told me that as well. One more question would I crumb coat the top before adding all my colors? I plan on doing it on the top since I am leaving the sides just chocolate. It is a birthday cake for someone that was in the army and I dont have time to get an Army transfer ontop so it would look plain. I will do only a boarder on the bottom I think of one of the greens in my camo and his name on top. Would love to see yours when you are done.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 19

the camo cake in my photos was done by mixing the different colors then I piped it on individually and then I used the Melvira roller method to smooth. it is one of the easiest cakes I had to do..LOL I did not crumbcoat the cake, but you can if you want. icon_biggrin.gif

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 19

I also have to do a camo cake, but will be using fondant.....anyone have suggestions on making fondant look camo?

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 19

I also have to do a camo cake, but will be using fondant.....anyone have suggestions on making fondant look camo?

traiaberg Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 19

Last question I think icon_biggrin.gif what tip should I be using to pipe the different colors?

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 19

I did a camo cake and used a whole bunch of #6 round tips.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 19

I posted pictures on my blog showing how I did my camo cake....

http://savingdougssanity.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-i-made-camouflage-cake-inside-and.html

Good Luck, it's easier than you think![/url]

Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:37am
post #10 of 19

Tracy71, Sugarshack has a tutorial on doing a fondant camo hat, hope it helps.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/fondant-camo-hat.html

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 12:39am
post #11 of 19

Hi - I posted my pic of the camo cake I did this morning. Yes, crumbcoat first and then add your icing. Have fun with it! I did the sides of my cake first, being careful to not go over the top. Then i did the top - you just have to be careful on the edges.

Fondant is easy too - just make ropes of the different colors and put them together - make a big log of it and roll it out. Its actually much easier to make camo in fondant but my customer wanted buttercream.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 19

Here is one I did recently:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1858829

I used the different colors in piping bags with #10 tip, gently smoothed the ridges out of the icing with a spatula (being careful not to mix the icings) then smoothed with a viva. Worked perfectly. The flag is an edible image placed on white chocolate clay (I dampened the surface of the chocolate clay before putting the image on it)

This cake was for a young man getting ready to leave for Afghanistan, and he cried when he saw the cake. One of the most touching cakes I have ever made.
God bless our military, past and present.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechrestloans

the camo cake in my photos was done by mixing the different colors then I piped it on individually and then I used the Melvira roller method to smooth. it is one of the easiest cakes I had to do..LOL I did not crumbcoat the cake, but you can if you want. icon_biggrin.gif

I looked at your camp cake, love it! How did you get the lettering in the canner so perfect? I wish I knew this before I did my camo cake! Oh well. icon_smile.gif

traiaberg Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:40am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Here is one I did recently:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1858829

I used the different colors in piping bags with #10 tip, gently smoothed the ridges out of the icing with a spatula (being careful not to mix the icings) then smoothed with a viva. Worked perfectly. The flag is an edible image placed on white chocolate clay (I dampened the surface of the chocolate clay before putting the image on it)

This cake was for a young man getting ready to leave for Afghanistan, and he cried when he saw the cake. One of the most touching cakes I have ever made.
God bless our military, past and present.

OMG This is amazing wish I had seen this before doing the one I did. Gee if I ever have to make another one I certainly will be making a few changes to how I did my first one. BTW Thanks to all the talented people on CC and those that gave me tons of suggestions and help. I was nervouse

traiaberg Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 1:57am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

I posted pictures on my blog showing how I did my camo cake....

http://savingdougssanity.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-i-made-camouflage-cake-inside-and.html

Good Luck, it's easier than you think![/url]

All I can say is WOW again you guys are all amazing! Everyone inspires me on here. I only will work with Buttercream so to see such great things done with is awesome.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:23am
post #16 of 19

Tracy71
I had a request for a hunting cake. They didn't want the traditional camo. They requested something more real, woodsy. So, I buttercreamed, added a thin layer of army green fondant and added fondant and chocolate leaves all over cake. I added some trees, limbs and deer. Not a good photo, but you get the idea.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1691436.html

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 2:49am
post #17 of 19

I'm sorry, did I not give you enough instructions on my PM.

traiaberg Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:12am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

I'm sorry, did I not give you enough instructions on my PM.

Oh HEAVANS NO all your help and the countless other people I asked 199 questions helpd actually. You made me feel more comfortable to do this project since I was a nervouse wreck. I just would have done a few things a little different plus I always have a hard time with colors coming out like I think they should. But you were a blessing and a big help!!!!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm
post #19 of 19

okay, just wondering if I let something out. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%