Help! How To Draw Baby Eyes!

Decorating By Crystalm Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 11:02am by neelycharmed

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 12

Ok. Help!I am making Crying Baby Cupcakes. I am about to draw on the eyes. They are supposed to be a very squinty, light very finely drawn eyes. My hands are not steady at all. Does anyone have an idea of how to get this effect without my bad handwriting ruining these pretty little cupcakes?

11 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 12

I tend to ruin my work once I pipe on writing lol - I feel ya!
Lots of practice does the trick! Just practice on a board or a trial cupcake - take your time!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 12

If they are fondant topped cupcakes, you can paint the eyes on. You can use a new, food only paint brush (or tooth pick) and tip into black food gel.
You can thin if you feel the need, with vodka, or a true extract. (vanilla extract, lemon extract ...)
If you thin it a bit, be careful you don't make it too runny.
According to this photo, a crying baby's eyes is simply two 'V's.

I hope this helps.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/crying+baby+cupcakes/dkoethe/2010%2520Cakes/CryingBaby01.jpg

DeezTreatz Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 12

Oh Yes and they also sell food safe markers - made to write on fondant!
They come in a pack - lots of different colors - I use them as well! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 12

And on the markers--the americolor ones can be 'sharpened' by clippingthe tip to make them an even finer point. It that might help.

DeezTreatz Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 12

The ones I get here - fine tip is available too.. which I wish I bought! icon_razz.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

how about modifying a straw and then putting it in food coloring gel? I would dip it on a paper towel first to get the excess off...just a thought..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezTreatz

The ones I get here - fine tip is available too.. which I wish I bought! icon_razz.gif

I'm really hyper about cake stuff--about anything--it's not an uncommon trait though--if I think the possibility might exist that I could run out of something then I buy extra. I mean I have so many markers it's ridicuous. But think about it--the exact one I need the day I need it might be dry --oh my --oh my --must get markers-- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I didn't know they had extra fine tip--must get markers must get markers. icon_biggrin.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 12

Hehehe ... I love the markers! They are Wilton ones - I got them at Michaels icon_smile.gif

Somtimes for really really small details I will just dip a toothpick in food coloring ... It works too.. and if I make a mistake I will use my gumpaste glue (Gumpaste/water) and erase it with a brush! Works wondahs lol

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 12

You can use any non-toxic marker (such as Crayola) to write on fondant or gum paste. Figure if a pre-schooler can stick it in his mouth and not get sick, it is certainly safe enough to draw some details on a cupcake. Knowing this, it opens up a whole range of markers tips available to add details with, not to mention so much cheaper.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:07am
post #11 of 12

Lightly draw them on with a toothpick then go over the line with piping. You can erase any toothpicks marks by smoothing the buttercream again- assuming it's not crusted.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:02am
post #12 of 12

The crying cupcake(shown in someone's earlier post ) is also how I make my "eyes", its simple and looks great, try that one icon_smile.gif
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%