Treasure Cake Chest

Decorating By cupcake_cutie Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 3:31am by cupcake_cutie

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone,
I have an order for a treasure chest cake and I'm trying to figure out how to make the top. Is it just carved? Any tips for carving it evenly? And do I start from 2 tiers?
Here's a pic of the cake that she wants.

7 replies
cupcake_cutie Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 8
cupcake_cutie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 8

Can anyone help me?

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 8

to me it looks like a 9X13. Two cakes on the bottom, one cake as the top. If you only fill you pan 1/2 way I would think you can just use the natural dome as the lid.

I was watching a cake show(can't remember what one) but they did a treasur chest. They covered it with chocolate buttercream, then froze the cake for about 20 minutes and right out of the freezer they ran their hand(with a glove) over the cake to create a "wood" effect. Looked amazing!

Hope this helps

cupcake_cutie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:58am
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much goodiegoddess! I really appreciate it and you have helped me tremendously! icon_smile.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:53am
post #6 of 8

For treasure chests, I use one 2" tier (untorted) for the lid. The base is a regular 4" tier (two 2"s stacked). You can do some carving on the lid if you want the curved look. Make sure you put the lid on its own cardboard base so it will sit on top of the "treasure" without falling apart. If it slides or seems unsteady once you've propped it up, drive dowels down through the lid and the bottom cake at the back two corners of the lid. I hope that helps!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:12am
post #7 of 8

I have done a couple treasure chest cakes. I use a sheet cake, an 8in pan would work to. I stack the bottom of the chest 3 layers high and then used the 4th layer as the top. I got a 1/4 in black foam core board and cut it to the size of the cake and put top on it.
I used dowels to support it. If you put two dowels in the back of the bottom cake, spread a few inches apart and close to the back of the cake and only 1/4 inch taller than the cake. Then take 2 more dowels and put a couple inches apart and towards the front center of the cake. Set the "lid on the cake and decorate. I hope my jumbles instructions help and aren't too confusing. If you have any questions you can pm me.
One of the Treasure chest is in my pics. Good Luck.

cupcake_cutie Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:31am
post #8 of 8

Thanks karabeal and Melchas. You have both helped me a lot! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%