Tiered Table Cakes? Does That Even Work?!

Decorating By jenmat Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 1:23am by jenmat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all,
I have a wedding planner asking me to make a "table cake" for an upcoming wedding show. She's doing quite a few different tables with themes, and on one she wants to feature a table cake/mini wedding cake.
Initially I thought, ok, I'll do a 4" and a 6." Now she wants 3-4 tiers!
I've worked around that by adding a piece on top with a domed look (she's going indian themed), but my question is:

brides will see this and think "oh what a fun idea! I want tiered cakes on MY tables!"
Does anyone even do this? There would be so much cake left over!What sizes do you typically use?
I think this is a case of educating the planner, but I want to give her good info.
Thanks!
Jen

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 4

I've seen table cakes at weddings, but not tiered ones, there would be so much cake left over they might as well go for the individual ones all boxed up (although the little ones would cost more from me)

Take a look at this thread that is talking about pricing for the individual cakes and touches on other topics like how many servings they're getting (and paying for) even though a table only holds 8, 10, or 12 people.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=700687&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 4

I think it's fine to do a miniature display cake with a disclaimer about true ordering size! Makes sense that she wants a few smaller cakes, but full detailed replicas.

Will each vendor have a description card kind of thing with the cake? It would be nice to have your info/website on it with a note that says display size only. Minium serving size for tiered cakes is ______.

Brides (should) be able to do the math and realize that tiered cakes on tables of 8 will give them waaay too much cake! But maybe they are on the new side of wedding planning and don't realize they pay per serving. icon_lol.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:23am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the link and the advice. Brides see things in their magazines and figure they are practical, so it never surprises me when one asks for a 2 tier square cake to feed 8 on each table.
Just wondering if anyone has anyone actually ever done this.
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%