How To: Freeze A Decorated Sheet Cake

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 2:36pm by twingirls05

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing some sheet cakes (as kitchen cakes) for my cousins wedding this weekend. I wanted to get them done ahead of time and stick them in my freezer. Her main cake(s) will take up my entire kitchen and I just don't have room to have the sheet cakes sitting around! So, I was thinking of decorating them, freezing them and then taking them out on Friday to "thaw" to go to the weddingon Saturday.

What's your best advice...as I've never done this before!

I am using the SugarShack icing (which I've frozen bulk before, just never tried freezing a decorated cake...the icing was fine - not "sweaty" when I thawed it) for the cake. It will just be iced with an orange colored leaf on each slice.

I would imagine that freezing it decorated will be fine...however, I just have visions of it thawing and beinga complete disaster and then being screwed at the last minute. Ha!

If decorating, freezing and re-thawing is NOT a good idea, I need to know that too...and then I won't do it!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

Well, a lot of bakeries do it all the time . . .

BTW, a sheet cake and a kitchen cake are not the same thing.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 4

You know the difference between the sheet and kitchen cakes. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif Put them in the boxes - wrap a couple of times with saran wrap, and then I would stick those into a large plastic bag (unscented garbage bag will work if you don't have the giant food ones since they are already wrapped in saran wrap) Then stick them in the freezer.

I have large boxes here that I think will work if you need any.

twingirls05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twingirls05 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry on my wording with sheet/kitchen cakes. I "knew" what I was talking about....lol!!

Thanks Cindy, I already have the boxes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%