post #31 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

thanks for the laughs guys icon_smile.gif

I'm not laughing that mess was not funny to me. It's ugly.

Sadly it was to me. I guess I thought it was funny for someone to get worked up like that. (that's to both of you & not to you alone.)
as for liking bc roses & that style cake......guys really, to each their own.

To the original poster...........GOOD LUCK on whatever job you decide to apply for. As for the employer that you are talking about, I wouldn't want to work for a person that spoke to me that way.

Oh, I'm not worked up, I think it's funny to be offended over a sheet cake too. I agree with the "to each his own" on preferences for cakes... I'm sure that people (myself included) get tired of scrollwork and swiss dots, but I end up doing that a lot because it's what the brides seem to want icon_sad.gif

That's true about the OP's potential employer talking to her that way, I hadn't thought about that. Acting all sneaky isn't a good way to screen employees. Tha't the kind of employer who would tell you to do something, then wait until you were halfway done and come back to say you were doing it wrong and needed to start over.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:06pm
post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Oh, I'm not worked up, I think it's funny to be offended over a sheet cake too.

I have a question are you saying you think it's funny to be offensive about a cake?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:19pm
post #33 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for the laughs guys icon_smile.gif

I'm not laughing that mess was not funny to me. It's ugly.

Sadly it was to me. I guess I thought it was funny for someone to get worked up like that. (that's to both of you & not to you alone.)
as for liking bc roses & that style cake......guys really, to each their own.

To the original poster...........GOOD LUCK on whatever job you decide to apply for. As for the employer that you are talking about, I wouldn't want to work for a person that spoke to me that way.

Oh, I'm not worked up, I think it's funny to be offended over a sheet cake too. I agree with the "to each his own" on preferences for cakes... I'm sure that people (myself included) get tired of scrollwork and swiss dots, but I end up doing that a lot because it's what the brides seem to want icon_sad.gif

That's true about the OP's potential employer talking to her that way, I hadn't thought about that. Acting all sneaky isn't a good way to screen employees. Tha't the kind of employer who would tell you to do something, then wait until you were halfway done and come back to say you were doing it wrong and needed to start over.

Quote:

Quote:

I have a question are you saying you think it's funny to be offensive about a cake?

Now I could be wrong and there's no response yet but that might not be the optimum quality you look for in a poster on a cake message board. Just saying.

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #34 of 88

I also agree.. I wouldn't want to work for someone like that either.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #35 of 88

Oh i do love to make roses and all flowers from modeling chocolate. Great tasting roses and any flowers. Also, littlecakes, your cake is beautiful. Your roses are very pretty. Lots better than some g/p roses i see or some little flower made with poured or pulled sugar. They are gorgeous too, if you know how to make them. All flowers are beautiful.None of us need to knock anything that others do. That is what causes hard feelings on this site.Been seeing it as long as i have been on here. It is sad. I agree. Some people buy their g/p flowers instead of making them. If that is what they like, then so be it. They are all pretty. I,d rather have a flower that i can bite into and taste good. than the g/p flowers. But i still make them , because that is what the client wants, and pays for.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:48pm
post #36 of 88

K8 - we're sorry. You are right. 1970's grandma rose-style are the best!!! We all need to bow down to you. lol

Chill man - it's cake. It's not brain surgery. to each it's own. It's money in your pocket and that is all that matters. Honestly, they aren't my fav either, but I'll do them if I need a quick no-brainer decoration.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

K8 - we're sorry. You are right. 1970's grandma rose-style are the best!!! We all need to bow down to you. lol

Chill man - it's cake. It's not brain surgery. to each it's own. It's money in your pocket and that is all that matters. Honestly, they aren't my fav either, but I'll do them if I need a quick no-brainer decoration.

It's not ok to dis any cakes like that. It's not ok. Not my cake. Not your cake. And you know it.

It's the wrong spirit for this board yes?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #38 of 88

A grocery store or high volume bakery has to have decorators who can crank out decent looking product super fast! Time is money. If they are paying you $10 an hour and it takes you half an hour to do that cake then that cost them $5 in man hours to create that. That is a far cry from the $.83 cents in manpower costs if you could do it in 5 minutes. This is why their stuff looks so bad.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:07pm
post #39 of 88

You're right. A sense of humor is totally the wrong spirit for this board.

Really though - you can dis any cake of mine you want. At the end of the day, I got paid for it and the customer liked it, so that is all that matters. Heck, I'll even dis my own cake if I didn't like it. BUT the customer did and it's worth it.

I guess I just learned not to take things so personally.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #40 of 88

wow this place has gotten really really mean...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:12pm
post #41 of 88
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now I could be wrong and there's no response yet but that might not be the optimum quality you look for in a poster on a cake message board. Just saying.

Sorry I wasn't sitting here waiting to respond to you, K8, but I was out doing errands and then I found a dog running loose on a main street, so I've been driving around trying to find its owner. I thought that might be more important than the great sheet cake debate.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #42 of 88

Cakesdivine...

When I worked at Wallyworld, my (yes I called it "mine") cake case was beautiful. (Haha, but when I quit to move onto bigger things, now that's another story on what the case looks like now-a-days! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Just because someone works at a high volume, does not imply crappy looking cakes or lack of talent from the decorator. Period! I'm also only stating what Ive experienced from the LOOK of the cakes. Since that is why I personally could control. I could NOT control the taste of the cakes and/or icing, so that is not what we're talkin' about here.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:16pm
post #43 of 88

Jackie wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

[url]
http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....1107-.html [/url]

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:34pm
post #44 of 88

I started with the old school style (70's) when you had to know how to do roses. I am so glad that I have my little business and can work at a healthy pace. I know so many pastry chefs who had to have surgeries because you are pushed to a fast pace day after day. It was such pressure and your body just falls apart after 20 or 30 years! After 3 back surgeries I retired from the bakery scene, took a few years to heal and found life after the professional bakery scene. It is a good way to learn how to get fast though...lol.

As for new styles vs old...some of the younger gals that I know have never had to make a buttercream rose and their biz does fine...I like both the new and the retro...keeps the job interesting and fresh. I do get a lot of brides comming to me for the old school cakes though. Styles always go in cycles and the more skills you have the more you can offer your customers or a potential employer.

Most bakeries that hire new gals should give you lots of time to build your speed as it takes time...it is not fair to expect someone new to come in and have a top speed. Find a place that you can learn and grow from. Good luck with your job search!!
Jo

sweetonyouzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetonyouzz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:44pm
post #45 of 88

sorry for double post!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:56pm
post #46 of 88
Quote:

http://acmecakes.com/images/RIMG0027.JPG

This one is pretty.

I am PROUD to say that I saved the cake above to my favorites. Just as fashions come and go in cycles, so will cake decorating styles. It is important to keep the skills inherent in both old and new styles alive and thriving.

I respect EVERYONE'S talent, whether BC roses and lily of the valley or crisp-edged fondant topsy turvys.

The very fortunate 80 year old woman who received that cake probably thought it to be the most beautiful cake she had received in her lifetime. Cakes are meant to make people happy and that woman was probably very, very, very happy to receive a piece of art in sugar from her loved ones.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #47 of 88

Whew, that was quite the thread...

Anyway, just wanted to put my two cents in.

Personally not a fan of bc roses but I think it takes skill to make them and I couldn't do one if you gave me a hour. LOL Most cake makers who sell their cakes (not hobbiest) know how to do bc roses because it's part of cake making. It's like learning your abc's before writing. You don't walk around singing your abc's all day but the sure come in handy when you need to spell. Same applies to bc anything. I personally think it's just something you need to learn, even if you use it once a year. Some people really like bc roses. Some don't. But as a good professional, you should at least make an attempt to learn everything you can about your craft.

Good luck on your job search. If this person doesn't hire you because you're a little slow on your roses, tell them to blow it. It takes time and practice and if they knew what was good for them, they'd give you a chance to make them some money. icon_wink.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:30pm
post #48 of 88

At the classes I teach at my local Middle/High School....the first thing the girls always want to learn is how to make a buttercream rose. When I show them, they are amazed. I spend another half hour cranking them out so they can pop them in their mouths.

Even after I show them gumpaste roses, and they can see how much more realistic they are and (for many of them) easier to make....they want to make them out of buttercream.

There's just something about being able to make them that they feel is like earning a badge of honor. May sound weird, but it's true.

I agree if you work there for even just a week or so...the time you have to spend icing will be cut dramatically. There's something about being made to sink or swim that has a way of doing that.

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #49 of 88

costumeczar- thank you for being honest. Sometimes I read posts and comments and wonder if everyone on CC is just really, really positive all the time. I'm a new member on CC, but I've been looking at posts for about 5 months now, and this was literally the first comment I've seen about a decorated cake where someone said they didn't like it. So, thank you. The way I see it, you just said you didn't like it. It only started to get ugly when k8memphis said du-uh. (at which point you both got into it.... the gloves came off!)

k8memphis- I get that it hurts your feelings when someone says they don't like it because it looks too old lady. You spent time on it and are probably proud of it, as you should be after you work hard for someone. But, if you can't bear hearing that someone doesn't like what you've decorated, I'd suggest you refrain from presenting your cakes as the solution to "bad-looking BC rose sheet cake dilemma." There will always be people who love the things we do; and there will always be people who hate the very same things.

That's all.

(anyone think I should be the next Frasier on the radio??) icon_lol.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:42pm
post #50 of 88

There is always the rule of if you can't say anything nice.....

Which I think applies here.

No one was asking her opinion on how beautiful she thought the cake was.

On the other hand, the comment that brought her on was pretty snarky. It did, however, have a smiley following, indicating that the poster wasn't as serious as she sounded. I don't think her duh meant what it was taken as.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:05pm
post #51 of 88
Quote:

Well after 4+ yrs decorating, I CAN'T make a decent rose & I don't care if I ever do. So my time frame would be indefinite, LMBO! Now I'd like to time myself on just ice & border.

(BTW--thankfully, I HAVEN'T lost business yet b/c I can't make them)

Ditto!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:28pm
post #52 of 88

If anyone was wondering, I found the lost dog's owner and she just came to pick her up icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #53 of 88

Everyone does not like everything.
I have no delusion that my cakes meet everyone's approval.
My ego is not wrapped up in this.

Brad, every little newbie that ever worked for hours on a homely little cake is now twice as shy to post and ask for critique or comments if they read that.

I'll be delighted to give you straight up critique on any of your work. And I have many times for others

Those kind of broad prejudiced comments are what deflate a cake board. Newbies buy a lot of cake stuff...like to spend a lot of time online talking about it.

Sheet cakes? Really? Buttercream roses? They're bad/wrong/beneath us?
That's silly. Thinking it and saying and believing it is much much different that documenting it here.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:49pm
post #54 of 88

Besides Brad I got two hundred dollars for one just like it-- that's where my 'feelings' about cakes are at. Pay me well I am at your service.

We may not like that cake we may refuse to do one like it but some of us (me in a previous life) make/made our living that way. It's not really about feelings it's about demeaning a part of cakedom. To me it's not cool to do that. It's biting your nose to spite your face.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:51pm
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing

K8, go take a nap. It is not a big deal

Why did you post then? Take your own nap.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:52pm
post #56 of 88

Honestly...............cake people should be the nicest people on EARTH!!! icon_confused.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #57 of 88

Did someone say nap? This was a long read... I need one!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:04pm
post #58 of 88

K8, I'm confused, I thought I have read you saying many times that you don't sell cakes?

bradfab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradfab Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:05pm
post #59 of 88

Really, my hope would be that CCers, newbies and pros alike, would feel comfortable expressing their own and hearing each other's opinions. Just because one person says BC rose sheet cakes are ugly, does that mean I have to believe it? No. But, maybe there's a brand new cake decorator out there who already thinks that and feels a little validated when they see someone more experienced express the same opinion they have.

There may be people who buy into opinions that are expressed (heck, that's why people make millions on advertising and marketing strategies), but I'm not sure that would be reason enough for others to feel uncomfortable saying "I don't like..." or "It's not my taste" or "In my opinion..." Sure, it would not have been such a definitive statement if costumeczar hadn't said "That's sheet cakes for you," but to cause such a stir...

In other news... I'm off to work. (not caking.... I could never get away with charging someone for one of my cakes... which is why you'll never see a picture of one on here!!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

K8, I'm confused, I thought I have read you saying many times that you don't sell cakes?

I've sold tons of cakes. I'm not currently employed in the caking arena.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%