Witch Finger Cookie Advice....please

Baking By Jopalis Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 10

OK...first attempt at witch finger cookies. Made them too big and they probably got too warm cuz they look more like ogre fingers! LOL! Also..I used a cookie recipe that I saw posted from Redbook. It has peanut butter in it. They taste a little dry even though had peanut butter and butter. And they cracked... So... What recipe should I use to make them and what advice can any of you share with me? Please... icon_cry.gif

9 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-657597.html

Check the above page, there are 4 pages of info on this topic, with the recipe.

HTH!

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 10

Jjopalis, don't feel bad I just made 3 doz. ogre fingers, That also looked like they had been run over ! I used the recipe from this site, dont know what I did wrong. Gonna take a break and try again later.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 10

From my experience, it's the amount of baking powder or baking soda that is used. Try cutting the amount in half and see how that works. Also, make the fingers quite narrow before baking them.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 10

I just made them too and my first batch I baked were huge. I rolled them thin on the next time around. I used the NFSC recipe.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2055/no-fail-sugar-cookies
I think they turned out great! Also, I saw on cc that someone colored theirs so I made have the batch regular and half green. icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10

mine didn't go flat but did puff up a lot and crack. The peanut butter recipe is pretty tasty though.... I thought about using shortbread but maybe too crumbly?? NFSC...hmm? I have heard they don't taste very good. Do you flavor yours up a bit? Mine have red fingernails. I blanched the almonds, peeled them and split them and then painted them with red coloring. So...they are either a lady ogre or transvestite ogre! Either way... still creepy looking. I'll just put red gel in the cracks...LOL.

Jopalis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 10

I think if the dough is too cold it doesn't shape well. It's nice to get the indentations if you squeeze it in your hand a bit from your fingers. I should have done what I always do and refrigerate the shaped cookies before I baked them...and make them thinner. The peanut butter recipe is tasty...

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

mine didn't go flat but did puff up a lot and crack. The peanut butter recipe is pretty tasty though.... I thought about using shortbread but maybe too crumbly?? NFSC...hmm? I have heard they don't taste very good. Do you flavor yours up a bit? Mine have red fingernails. I blanched the almonds, peeled them and split them and then painted them with red coloring. So...they are either a lady ogre or transvestite ogre! Either way... still creepy looking. I'll just put red gel in the cracks...LOL.

transvestite...now that is funny icon_biggrin.gif I love the NFSC recipe. I'm 5 lbs heavier now! I used all almond flavoring. Wow, you blanched your almonds! I just bought the sliced ones. I bet the thicker almonds looked awesome!

Jopalis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 10

I will post some pics.... I just finished trying dipped Oreos for the first time. Tonight is decorated cutouts....

Jopalis Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 10

I also used an egg white wash to hold the nail in place and brushed the whole cookie minus the nail top (or color ran) before baking. Only using the gel as blood in the cracks, at the base, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%