Butter Prices. You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!!

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am by BethLS

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Thin4life, I think if you will look up a few posts, I might have answered your question. However, if you are going to use it immediately, I shouldn't imagine you will need to rinse it as completely. I have never really encountered this particular question. At least working it under water to collect the mass should provide some sort of washing. It is kinda hard to use without that procedure as so much of it appears as little floating "rice grains" when first churned.
I hope this helps you.

Thanks so much, I am going to give this a try and make some cut outs this weekend.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #62 of 83

Hey, let me know how it works for you. The very first time I made butter was such an amazing experience. (I'm easily awed!). To have a liquid...cream, and after a little agitation to have a solid, knowing that all the time it was in there...Kinda just blew me away.
Anyway, it has always been fun. Now it is wise economy, too.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #63 of 83

I read on another blog that you do not have to rinse if you are using it right away.

Let us know how it works out.

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:40am
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I went to Costco today and the butter had gone down a bit. Last week it was 10.19 for the 4 - 1 pounds package, today it was 9.99. I thought maybe this was a new trend, told the cashier I was excited about the butter heading back down. She said don't get too excited, they are in the process of moving it up to $14 for the 4 pound package over the next few months!!!

Glad I have an extra freezer, I'm going to be storing up some butter!

That's an interesting comment your cashier made. However, Costco doesn't know months ahead of time that they're going to raise the price--the price charged is going to vary with each shipment. Its one of the reasons you can buy a gallon of milk for $2.39 today, $2.45 tomorrow, and $2.35 in 2 weeks. So no, your Costco employee is making their own conjectures, that do not reflect what the company is doing or planning on doing (I work for Costco). If the cost of butter keeps going up, the price to the consumer is going to increase; if it goes down it will go down. For example, look at the gas station--the price changes when a new shipment comes in and at no other time, and dependent upon turnover is how fast the price will fall or rise.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 12:37pm
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbucksAddict

Quote:

I went to Costco today and the butter had gone down a bit. Last week it was 10.19 for the 4 - 1 pounds package, today it was 9.99. I thought maybe this was a new trend, told the cashier I was excited about the butter heading back down. She said don't get too excited, they are in the process of moving it up to $14 for the 4 pound package over the next few months!!!

Glad I have an extra freezer, I'm going to be storing up some butter!

That's an interesting comment your cashier made. However, Costco doesn't know months ahead of time that they're going to raise the price--the price charged is going to vary with each shipment. Its one of the reasons you can buy a gallon of milk for $2.39 today, $2.45 tomorrow, and $2.35 in 2 weeks. So no, your Costco employee is making their own conjectures, that do not reflect what the company is doing or planning on doing (I work for Costco). If the cost of butter keeps going up, the price to the consumer is going to increase; if it goes down it will go down. For example, look at the gas station--the price changes when a new shipment comes in and at no other time, and dependent upon turnover is how fast the price will fall or rise.

She said her husband was a big wig for costco and was in a meeting about it, not just a cashiers conjectures.... but I'm not worried about it, it is what it is right? Whether it goes up or stays the same, it's out of my hands. Except that my brides will feel it as well...

However, the speculation was correct and Heavy whipping cream went from $1.79 last week to $3.75 yesterday. $1.96 difference in *1* week!!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:08pm
post #66 of 83

I know I posted this on another thread but I thought I'd share it here. Krogers has Land of Lakes on sale this week. Now I'm not sure if it's ALL Krogers or even if "on sale" is actually on sale for everyone. I know that for me if I was ANYWHERE NEAR a Krogers I'd be there.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:23pm
post #67 of 83

daltonam....thanks for the info!!! I'm going to the Longview, TX Krogers to buy some today!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:24pm
post #68 of 83

The closest Kroger to me is 53 miles icon_smile.gif Parkay Spread in sale everywhere this week. Not quite the same lol

daltonam Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:29pm
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

daltonam....thanks for the info!!! I'm going to the Longview, TX Krogers to buy some today!

Check online for the ad just so it's on sale in your area too icon_smile.gif

Quote:

The closest Kroger to me is 53 miles Parkay Spread in sale everywhere this week. Not quite the same lol

That sounds like the Krogers near me. Parkay is great . . . . in rice krispies treats, LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #70 of 83

Thanks for posting the link Aligotmatt. Resourceful bit of information. Will definitely be doing this and can't wait to get at it!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:00pm
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

Check online for the ad just so it's on sale in your area too icon_smile.gif

Quote:

The closest Kroger to me is 53 miles Parkay Spread in sale everywhere this week. Not quite the same lol

That sounds like the Krogers near me. Parkay is great . . . . in rice krispies treats, LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I checked and it is on sale! Thanks again!!

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #72 of 83

I posted this already, but if everyone can just wait a bit the price will drip as the holiday season starts. Give it 2 weeks and butter will be on sale and they hope to get you in the store to buy all the other goodies...like a big fat Turkey! Then stock up. This is very typical pricing just before the holiday drop.

daltonam Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:45pm
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

I posted this already, but if everyone can just wait a bit the price will drip as the holiday season starts. Give it 2 weeks and butter will be on sale and they hope to get you in the store to buy all the other goodies...like a big fat Turkey! Then stock up. This is very typical pricing just before the holiday drop.

I hope it's soon icon_cry.gif

witchee13c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witchee13c Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #74 of 83

I found this while doing a search on why butter prices are so high.

Butter is a commodity product, and the price is driven from butter markets quoted weekly by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. Some possible reasons for the higher prices may have to do with supply and demand.

I really don't understand about future trades or whatever they went on and on about. Way above me trying to comprehend or even wanting to,lol.

I just want the prices to drop. I am only a hobby baker, but going into this time of year a household consumes a lot of extra butter.

I guess coffee is next, it usually starts going up this time of year. Guess I'll watch for the butter sales. Then keep a closer eye on the coffee prices in case I have to stock up on coffee to stay up all night making butter icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchee13c

I found this while doing a search on why butter prices are so high.

Butter is a commodity product, and the price is driven from butter markets quoted weekly by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. Some possible reasons for the higher prices may have to do with supply and demand.

I really don't understand about future trades or whatever they went on and on about. Way above me trying to comprehend or even wanting to,lol.

I just want the prices to drop. I am only a hobby baker, but going into this time of year a household consumes a lot of extra butter.

I guess coffee is next, it usually starts going up this time of year. Guess I'll watch for the butter sales. Then keep a closer eye on the coffee prices in case I have to stock up on coffee to stay up all night making butter icon_smile.gif

I have said the same thing several times when this subject has come up on this board. It is supply and demand. commodity brokers live and work where there is a proliferation of cupcakeries and trucks popping up in Chicago. All it took was one broker to see the line and connect the dots to eggs, butter, flour, etc. I have no doubt this is the one of the main reasons why the prices have shot up, along with the holiday season. I happen to watch CNBC whenever I am home during the day, including the year I wasn't working. After a while you start to learn how their mind works.

It makes you wonder if some of these smaller cupcake only bakeries will continue to exist.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:04am
post #76 of 83

I noticed too! Over the summer it was CHEAP! I just saw 1 pound at the local store for 4.99! I know I can get it a bit cheaper at a bigger market or at sams, but I hope it will come down again soon! I think these things happen though. i recall it wasnt too long ago that milk was really expensive. It if continuest though, I guess I'll have to pass along the cost to my customers icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:17am
post #77 of 83

Kroger in West Tennessee has Land O Lakes for $2.49 which is still a lot but it's been $3.99. He just brought it home, and the Kroger brand was $3.99--crazy--usually they are careful about not letting store brand get trumped. Especially on butter especially for the holidays.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:09pm
post #78 of 83

I haven't bought butter in who-knows how long...but Heavy cream? Oh baby, I go through a LOT of that!

I use my KA to make all of my butter...but as I only do 3-4 cakes a week, I make it fresh, as needed. I run mine through a very fine sieve to squish out all of the buttermilk (best buttermilk ever!) then rinse to get the rest of the buttermilk residue off. Easy peasy!

I do all of this for a couple reasons, 1) Cheaper 2) Quality Control 3) I feel better personally knowing every single ingredient in my cakes/icings.

But heck, I make my own vanilla extracts icon_wink.gif

LindaF144a Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

I haven't bought butter in who-knows how long...but Heavy cream? Oh baby, I go through a LOT of that!

I use my KA to make all of my butter...but as I only do 3-4 cakes a week, I make it fresh, as needed. I run mine through a very fine sieve to squish out all of the buttermilk (best buttermilk ever!) then rinse to get the rest of the buttermilk residue off. Easy peasy!

I do all of this for a couple reasons, 1) Cheaper 2) Quality Control 3) I feel better personally knowing every single ingredient in my cakes/icings.

But heck, I make my own vanilla extracts icon_wink.gif

Do you use the kind from the grocery, the ultra pasteurized one, or do you get something else? I just have to try this and soon.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:57am
post #80 of 83

BethLS - How much heavy cream does it take to make a pound of butter?

rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #81 of 83

Kroger store has LOL butter on sale this week for $2.49 a pound. You have to buy 10, but then you get $5.00 back on your grocery bill. It is usually $2.99 a pound there, but with the $.60 off per pound and the $5.00 back, you get it for $1.99 a pound.

daltonam Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #82 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreed6263

Kroger store has LOL butter on sale this week for $2.49 a pound. You have to buy 10, but then you get $5.00 back on your grocery bill. It is usually $2.99 a pound there, but with the $.60 off per pound and the $5.00 back, you get it for $1.99 a pound.

really makes me wish I lived closer to Krogers this week icon_smile.gif

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #83 of 83

Hi guys! Sorry I'm a tad late to reply..a gals gotta work icon_wink.gif

I'm not exactly sure how many lbs of butter I yield from the cream...I usually never weigh...(I'm like IndyDebi...I'm a mix and see person when it comes to making buttercream) but I always start out with a quart of heavy cream. (I have the smallest bowl sized KA) I always start off with a chilled bowl/whisk too...it makes the process quicker! Hey I will need to make more next weekend...I'll weigh it for ya and get back with you icon_smile.gif

Also, I have used the Ultra Pastuerized, and it's always been fine for me. But I usually just try to hit up the local Amish store...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%