Just Starting Out Help!

Business By Wina81 Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm by leily

Wina81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wina81 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 5

I have been doing cakes now for close to 5 years but have never charged for them. They are doing cutbacks and pay deduction @ work and I've decided to make some extra money. Have license NOW WHAT?
Welcoming any and all suggestions. icon_surprised.gif
please email me [email protected]

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

Which state do you live in?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 5

I guess getting your name out there would be the most important thing. You could go to your local party supply stores and ask if they will allow you to leave some cards. Give friends and relatives business cards to pass along to people in need of a cake. Check with local caterers to see if they have someone that does their cakes. Go to local coffee shops and see if you could supply them with maybe cupcakes or cakes on a daily basis. Around here we have what the call the Advertiser. This is a local "paper" which cater's to local businesses and adds for local garage sales and such. These ads are usually fairly inexpensive. I don't know if you would have something in your area like this or not. Radio may be a little more expensive, but could tend to be a lot more productive. I don't know if this would be an option given your financial situation though. Just a few ideas. Hope the might help some. Be sure to check local laws first though.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 5

deleted duplicate post

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 5

You say you have your license, does that require anything on your end? do you have to have a store front? can you work out of your home? Do you have to work out of a commercial kitchen?

As for "now what" what have you done already? Do you know the cost of your recipes? Do you know your overhead cost? Do you have pricing figured out already?
Do you have any business experience? (not just working for one, but being in a management or a position that dealt with inventory, cost, overheads, wages, taxes, etc...)

Do you have a client base that is already aware of your product?

There really is a lot to a business besides just decorating. What type of background do you have already?

Without knowing much about your exact situation the best advice i can give you is read as many topics in the business forum as you can. There is a wealth of information here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%