First Gig!! Tips Please

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm by LisaPeps

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 7

I have been going nuts lately buying up on some necessary tools to start off what I hope will evently transform from hobby to business.. and wow.. I mean WOW.. I had no idea just how much one person would need until I was offered to do my gf's wedding cake (excited much?!!! icon_biggrin.gif ). I jumped online and I think I've managed to clock up 4 different orders (how annoying is it when you can't just by EVERYTHING you need from the one store?!!!). I think I've nearly spent $1000.. including my cricut cake machine.. (ok.. maybe more.. oops). From Americolor gels and lustre colors, to gumpaste flower modelling clay and tools, to a bulk pack of cricut mats (one mat = $10 USD compared to $28 AUS.. how ridiculous is that?!).. cake pans and boards.. stencil mat.. rotating cake stand.. and a fair bit more.
So.. I am looking at making a three tier round mud cake - 12" (choc) + 9" (white choc) + 6" (caramel choc). The cake pans are 3" deep and I intend to level the tops and cut each cake in half and fill with a truffle mix. I think I might stick with a ganache style crumb coat and then cover with a mmf.
These are my questions that I was hoping I could get some expert opinions on:
1. If I use a white chocolate ganache on the cakes will the choclate mud cake color show through the the ivory colored fondant?
2. I intend to stack the cakes using this technique

. If so, what did they turn out like presentation wise and did you have to apply them at the last minute and what did you use to stick them to the cake?
5. Has anyone used Pearl PME Lustre Spray? What did the effect look like and was it easy to apply? Can I use this over a dusty pink fondant to acheive a pearlised effect?

Ok.. I know I have many questions.. but I want to try and be a thorough as possible. I'd appreciate any help offered icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

2. I intend to stack the cakes using this technique

Will this be adequate? I do not have to transfer the cake any further than a block away.. if that!
3. Do you think 3" cake depth is enough to acheive a desirable wedding cake? What do most people use in the way of cake pan depth?

I'll take a stab at #2 & #3...
Yes, the stacking technique is adequate. However, I'd also hammer one long center dowel through all three tiers to help stabilize or prevent the tiers from sliding apart from one another even if it's only going to be transported to the edge of your driveway!

No, I don't think a 3" tall wedding cake tier is desirable. Typical layer cakes are 4" tall. I personally think it would look too short and squatty, and would look more professional if it was a standard 4" height.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 7

I've used the pearl PME spray and I like it but it seems like every can is different. My first one sprayed light and even where my second can looked like splatters no matter how I sprayed it

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:55am
post #4 of 7

For number 3: uk standard is 3", USA standard is 4". Have a look at uk and us cake shops and see which you prefer, I'm British and I prefer the USA look.

4: I haven't used them myself but I have read that once they're on the cake they tend to go a misty colour.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:29am
post #5 of 7

Answers to your questions:
1: I have used ganache method to crumb coat cakes all the time, but I lay it on pretty thick when working with a dark coloured cake and a light colours fondant.

2: I would agree with the other folks that if this is the method you wish to use, put a center rod threw all 3tiers.

3:The height of the cake is up to you really and what you and your customer prefer. I'm in Canada and I prefer 4", but I do know that in AUS they use a 3" height

4:I have never used the ones from the web site that you listed, but if they are edible and food safe, I don't see why you can't use them. Cake jewels are fun to use and add a nice bling bling to cakes icon_wink.gif

5: I have used the PME Luster Dust but I don't like it for covering the cake. I have found that it doesn't give a very even cover. It also seems to be differance from 1 can to another.

I would say that if this is your first wedding cake, do a test run. It would be good pratice, and you can see if you want to make changes, or just leave it.
Good luck and have fun icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure you will do great.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips icon_smile.gif
I'll definitely do a trial run (just using some cheap cake mixes) so as I can experiment with the decorating ideas I want to run with. After much research I have decided to purchase 3 mud cake mixes in the Bakel range - Choc mud, Caramel & White.. this brand has a fantastic rep and the local bakery uses it for his range and they taste fab. I was a bit anti-cake mix, however, after comparing the cost I'd be silly not to run with it. Plus, going with a pre-mix will eliminate the chance of error! I'm going to try the lustre spray, however, if it doesn't appeal to me on the trial cake I will go with mixing the pearlised lustre dust in to the fondant.
Thanks again.. I will be sure to post progress updates

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7

On this cake I used the PME Pearl Lustre Spray http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1720338&sub=1720339

My advice is use it vary sparingly and as far away if not further than what it says on the can, I went over board in a couple of places and it formed a drip and ran down the side. Not a good look.

Also you can probably tell on the photo that I sprayed after I had attached the ribbon, also not a good idea as it changed the ribbons look with a negative affect...

One more thing, obvious probably but I made the mistake... Don't touch it till its really really dry (even if you wait you'll get it all over your hands anyway) but fingerprints didn't go well on my cake design lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%