Buttercream Roses

Decorating By traiaberg Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm by traiaberg

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 8

I have only made royal icing roses and need to make buttercream for my next cake. My question is how far in advance can I or should I make the roses out of buttercream prior to when the cake is needed?

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 8

anytime i have to use b/c roses, i make a couple days ahead. put in a tupperware container. but i don,t use the lid and close it up tight. i just lay paper towels over them. i never put b/c roses in fridge or freezer. i never have any problems doing them the way i just said. hth

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 8

Depending on your recipe, it could take 2-4 days to air dry enough to be able to pick them up and handle them gently. I like to make roses about a week in advance (or at least 5 days).

You can make them much earlier than needed, if you like. I have some leftover on a plate from six weeks ago that are covered with a paper towelthey are still soft enough to dent or break the outer petals if lightly pressed with a finger and soft enough to easily cut with a knife.

I know some places that store them in every color for many months. As long as they still smell sweet and don't smell like rancid shortening, they're fine. Lots of buttercream recipes are stored at room temperature for 4-6 months, so BC roses are no different.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:23am
post #4 of 8

depending on your recipe and how well it crusts.

I can make roses in the morning and pick them up with my hands by the afternoon. I've also made them days in advance. I air dry only ... never 'frig or freeze .... I was fortunate that in the shop I could line them up on an 18x26 baking sheet and store it in my baking rack, so I could make a couple of hundred one morning and just have them handy for the rest of the week.

Unlimited Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:12am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I was fortunate that in the shop I could line them up on an 18x26 baking sheet and store it in my baking rack, so I could make a couple of hundred one morning and just have them handy for the rest of the week.

Me too! On Bun full-sheet pans, but in an enclosed cabinet like this:
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_895968

(latched door to keep any ickies out!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:20am
post #6 of 8

Nice cabinet but holy crap it costs as much as my food warmer did! icon_surprised.gif Geesh, these restaurant supply guys get ya coming and going don't they? I think we're in the wrong end of the business! icon_lol.gif

Unlimited Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Nice cabinet but holy crap it costs as much as my food warmer did! icon_surprised.gif

thumbs_up.gif I just attached any image, so it wouldn't be mistaken for an enclosed kitchen cabinet. If anyone is looking for one, they have another for nearly $200 less (they all basically look the same):
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_681440

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8

Oh you all are great what a HELP I knew I would get an answer to my dilemma. I am happy to hear I can make them Sunday for a Wednesday cake or even Monday. The buttercream I use does crust nicely and quick when left out for a day. I was just nervous about moving a bunch of roses and they not be firm enough. I appreciate all the replies I received for my post. TY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%