Dividing Batter Among 3 Pans?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm by mcdonald

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 2

Does anyone divide their batter into 3 pans instead of two? Some of the books I have seem to recommend this (confetti cakes for example).

I usually bake in two inch pans, but sometimes the edges bake more quickly, therefore it doesnt reach the top of the pan. Or sometimes it is a hot spot in the oven that bakes the cake unevenly. I just seem to have trouble getting a true 4 inch tall cake after I level the cake off.

I was wondering if baking cakes in three pans would work better. I would assume I would use a bit more batter than I would normally. I just want a 4 inch cake...not 6 inches!

1 reply
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 2

I usually fill my 2 inch pans 3/4 way full (depending on the flavor, some rise more than others).. that way my cake is usually just over the top and I can level it and still have a nice size cake. Actually sometimes I think I have to tall of a layer once I get the filling and the buttercream.. often wonder if I should torte but I don't really like to do that.

To level my cakes, I don't shave off any cake. Since my cake usually bakes high, when it comes out of the oven I cover the top with parchment paper or wax paper if I don't have any, and then I "dump" it over onto the counter. Then I usually pile "stuff" on top of it.. 2 liter coke bottles, cans of shortening,etc.. to add weight.. Then my layer is nice and even and I don't have to mess with that cutting.. which I am terrible at!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%