Bride Does Not Want A Crumb Coat!

Decorating By aarklay Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 2:15pm by Erin3085

aarklay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 26

With a week to go to her wedding, the bride has decided to tell me that she does not want any ganache filling or crumb coat on her mud cakes. She is pregnant so can't handle the taste and I guess doesn't care what the rest of the people eating it like :S. Is it possible just to brush some sugar water over the cake and put fondant over it hoping for the best? Do you have any suggestions? Please help, thank you xx

25 replies
Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 26

I have no clue, my crumb coat usually smooths out my cakes

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 26

Can you suggest to her making one cake without filling and the rest with? I believe a lot of people use a hot apricot jam to make the fondant stick. I was just reading a cupcake blog that did that also..

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 26

What about buttercream instead? More mild flavor for her to handle? Truthfully I also use crumb coat to smooth out my cake before applying fondant so I wouldn't be able to avoid doing one of some kind. With a whole cake she can;t just eat some of the middle slices that don;t have the crumb coat?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 26

Can you really get your fondant as smooth as you're hoping without any ganache or buttercream? If not, you need to tell her so, and suggest she scrape hers off. I would just tell her that she doens't want a lumpy cake, and this is the process of how to get it smooth.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 26

Did you explain to her that a crumb coat is just cake and icing and that it's what it already in the cake? I don't understand why she wouldn't want this. If you use cake and icing, you can't tell the difference. Weird request. I'd probably tell her that that is how you smooth your cakes, so it's part of your process and can't be omitted.

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 26

I personally have never done a cake without a crumb coat icon_confused.gif . This is what I would do, I would make a small cake (sample cake) and try using maybe sugar water or apricot glaze as a crumb coat, cover the cake with fondant and see how it works out. But in advance I would notify the customer that this might not work out and make sure she is FULLY AWARE of a possible uneven looking cake after all the BC is what makes our cakes look nice and smooth. I would also get something in writing (just to cover my a..) letting her know what the outcome might be. I think that this would also increase the price of the cake because you might have to use more fondant to avoid the color of the cake to show through the fondant, right icon_confused.gif ? Well let us know how it worked out for you, and Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 26

Thanks everyone. I have suggested to her that she uses buttercream instead but she didn't like that idea. I've warned her that I will try my best but can't guarantee the cake will be smooth and I will have to use a thicker fondant coat, plus the cake tiers will turn out thinner. Gah, this is so annoying. I always use a crumb coat on my cakes. icon_sad.gif

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 26

I do not think that means what she thinks it means... o_0

I can understand not filling but you cant fondant a cake without a coating of something underneath. Well you can but it will be the lumpiest cake ever. Tell her you need to do a coating of something around the cake, I dont understand why she wouldnt want ganache, its chocolate and she's pregnant!

Perhaps ask her exactly what it is she doesnt like about it and tell her it would severely affect the look of her cake. But hey, its her wedding!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roweeena

... But hey, its her wedding!

But it's also OP's reputation. I would tell her it's an integral part of the cake process and omitting it will result in a sloppy looking cake. And that you will not put out a sloppy looking product for all to see and associate with you.

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roweeena

I dont understand why she wouldnt want ganache, its chocolate and she's pregnant!

Perhaps ask her exactly what it is she doesnt like about it and tell her it would severely affect the look of her cake. But hey, its her wedding!

Yeah you'd think so hey lol. She said she can't handle much flavour at the moment. But I'm thinking if she can't handle chocolate, why would she want any of the cake anyway as it's all mud and fruit cake :S

I just suggested I do a really thin coat of buttercream just to smooth it out and make it stick and if she has a middle bit she won't even notice it. I suggested scrapping it off too and to think of the guests as well but she replied saying please please leave it off! -sigh-. She is a friend but I'm gonna have to get her to sign a form to cover me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 26

Wait...so she just wants cake and fondant???

How about she just NOT eat cake if she is pregnant and that picky? Everyone else will enjoy it. I would not sell a cake without at least some sort of filling (buttercream?) and some sort of something under the fondant.

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

How about she just NOT eat cake if she is pregnant and that picky? Everyone else will enjoy it. I would not sell a cake without at least some sort of filling (buttercream?) and some sort of something under the fondant.

thumbs_up.gif I feel the same right now

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarklay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

thumbs_up.gif I feel the same right now

Yeah...you know what, if you don't offer it, you don't offer it!!!!

It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...

That or maybe at the most, make the top tier the way she wants it...with extra thick fondant or whatever.....and make everything else normal.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 26

oh my, there is a disaster waiting to happen.... i was reading on here one time that a bride was having a 3 tier cake and insisted on "no doweling".... I say there is a way to do it and a way not to do it and she will have to just suck it up!!!!!!!!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:04am
post #16 of 26

Just my personal experience but I inadvertantly placed fondant directly onto cake with no icing, no ganache, no apricot glaze, no nothin' and the moisture of the cake basically melted the fondant and created a lovely gooey seeping mess!

Luckily for me, this was not an order. It was a collection of small gift bags (in my photos) that I put together for a competition. After peeling off the fondant 3 times and trying to patch it up with buttercream before replacing the fondant they about hit the trash. I ended up putting wax paper right up next to each of the bags into the center of the cake plate. That covered the gooey mess and then I used the very thin fondant to look like tissue paper all around the bags. It worked but before I got to this point, I fought with those stupid little bags for 3 days!

Not a chance on God's green earth would I do something like this intentionally just because the customer says that's what they want. I'm guessing the customer knows nothing of caking and therefore should not be dictating how the cake should be constructed.

aarklay Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #17 of 26

Thank God she just agreed to buttercream!! phew! thanks so much everyone for your help ans sympathy haha

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #18 of 26

this addresses my big pet peeve: the cake is for the GUESTS not the bride and groom! It is a gift from them to their guests for coming. It should be what the guests will enjoy. That really yanks my chain, lol

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:44am
post #19 of 26

I have tried sugar water and its just too wet and it leaks out - just my experience mind you others probably wont have this problem. You could use jam and put 2 layers of fondant on - I had to do this when my boy put his fingers through the icing once icon_surprised.gif Was a practice cake thank god.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #20 of 26

I'm glad she agreed to the buttercream, but for future reference, and for anyone else who has a customer with a wacky request - this is when you pull out the "I'm the professional, and this is the way it's going to be" card. Customers get to choose flavor and design. They do not get to make decisions about the basic construction of the cake, and I absolutely consider buttercream or ganache under the fondant to be "basic construction". icon_confused.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I'm glad she agreed to the buttercream, but for future reference, and for anyone else who has a customer with a wacky request - this is when you pull out the "I'm the professional, and this is the way it's going to be" card. Customers get to choose flavor and design. They do not get to make decisions about the basic construction of the cake, and I absolutely consider buttercream or ganache under the fondant to be "basic construction". icon_confused.gif

Well said!!!!!!!!!!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:31am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

this addresses my big pet peeve: the cake is for the GUESTS not the bride and groom! It is a gift from them to their guests for coming. It should be what the guests will enjoy.

AMEN!! thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 8:32am
post #23 of 26

I would suggest making a separate cutting cake on the side. A small 6 inch. Just tell her that the cutting cake is for her and this way you can make the guest's happy by having ganache or frosting on their cake making decorating and the final product easier for you. I really doubt she plans on eating the entire wedding cake so I don't why she wouldn't want her guest's to be happy.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:31pm
post #24 of 26

I am so glad she agreed to buttercream. Can you imagine just cake and fondant? GROSS!!! Nobody would want to eat that!

aarklay Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 26

All worked out well and both the bride and guests wer happy icon_smile.gif Here's the cake icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1851008

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:15pm
post #26 of 26

Gorgeous. icon_smile.gif Glad it worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%