Tips / Tutorials On Covering A Petal Shaped Cake?

Decorating By wendalls Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 2:58am by cheatize

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 4

I'm keen to give this a go but the more intricate shape is a little scary!

Anyone got a link to a tutorial? or any tips?

Thanks

w

3 replies
wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

The bottom tier of this beautiful cake by patriciascakecreations - pic found right here on cc to illustrate what I meant

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=38251

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendalls

The bottom tier of this beautiful cake by patriciascakecreations - pic found right here on cc to illustrate what I meant

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=38251

Hi Wendalls don't be scared about doing a more intricate cake shape. I have done petal shaped. I used the petal shaped tin and covered with fondant as usual but I bought a curved edge smoother. It helps to get inbetween the curves. it comes in handy for heart shaped etc too. Make sure you measure the depth and width so you roll out enough fondant to cover it so you're not pulling on the fondant and tearing.

I always smooth across the top first so and then use my hands to smooth upwards and ease the pleats out that form. Smooth into the indentations and the fondant naturally falls into the curves. It's quite an easy shape to cover actually. Give it a go it's a lovely shaped cake. Good luck

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 4

Be careful how much frosting you use on the inside corners. I always put too much on and the frosting oozes out from underneath or it's squishy and bumpy under the fondant and then it tears. Now if I could only remember this before I fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%