Dowel Is Too Short--Urgent!!!! Please Help

Decorating By gissellr78 Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm by sweetcakes

gissellr78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gissellr78 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all,

I am making a 3 tier cake and i need to put dowels in all the tiers plus 1 dowel thru the top tier....

Problem is that the dowel is 12.5" and the cake with the top tier in place 20".

Do i insert the dowel and follow with another dowel right after so it can reach the top???

thanks all

12 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 13

I've never used the dowel through the center before. I've always been too scared to pound that thing down through the boards icon_sad.gif But it seems to me that one dowel on top of the other is not going to be stable. I'd almost say it would be safer to go without the center dowel than use two. Someone else with more experience may know better though.

gissellr78 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

I've never used the dowel through the center before. I've always been too scared to pound that thing down through the boards icon_sad.gif But it seems to me that one dowel on top of the other is not going to be stable. I'd almost say it would be safer to go without the center dowel than use two. Someone else with more experience may know better though.

Yea..I am using dowels in the bottom 14" cake, in the middle 10" cake...maybe i should do just that and assemble the small 6" tier at the place.

What do you think?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 13

I think that's a great solution thumbs_up.gif

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 13

Good idea. I'd add the top tier on-site.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 13

how tall are your cakes? cause 12.5 inches should have been good if it was stacked. i think your solution is good. good luck

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 13

most people buy the yard long dowels from the craft store or home improvement store for this purpose. Not sure whether they are food safe though. I can also buy 36" long marshmallow dowels which are perfect for this too. Do you have time to buy a long one?

gissellr78 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

most people buy the yard long dowels from the craft store or home improvement store for this purpose. Not sure whether they are food safe though. I can also buy 36" long marshmallow dowels which are perfect for this too. Do you have time to buy a long one?

Great idea.. i will assemble at the place or get this long dowel at the hardware store.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 13

I'm curious... just like Julzs71... how tall are your cakes??? If a three-tier cake is 20" tall, those tiers would be more than 6" tall apiece! If that's the case, I would definitely use a center dowel through your 10" & 14" tiers.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gissellr78

Maybe it will be 15-20" depending on how much i shave off to level it. I am scared lol

Oh, yeah! Eighteen inches tall easily for a design like that. (I was thinking typical wedding cake, and those tiers ARE at least six inches tall!)

Dbond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dbond Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 13

I will be making my son's wedding cake in January, they want a 6 tier stacked cake to feed at least 300. I will have a 16" 14" 12" 10" 8" and 6" for the anniversary topper. I plan on using the larger plastic hollow dowels, decreasing the # of dowels used pr tier as the tier size decreases (ie. 7 dowels for 16" etc.) Each of the layers (tiers) will be comprised of 2, 2 " layers, 4" altogether pr. layer. Using buttercream then fondant pr. tier. I am wondering how tall I should cut each dowel rod to-to the top of the fondant? Would that make each dowel approx. 5 " tall? Do I need to have one dowel rod the entire heigth of the cake to go down the middle? Wouldn't that mean I would have to have a hole cut through each cake plate? I have never made a stacked cake with this many tiers before, now I'm concerned after reading this blog icon_confused.gif .

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 13

dbond,
you should look into using the SPS for your support, especially for a cake this large then you wont have to worry about a center dowel. But the other thing you need to consider is that this baby is going to be extra heavy, you'll surely need a wooden base board with feet under it so you can get your finger tips under it to just pick it up. and someone to help you carry it, anywhere!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%