# Of Servings?

Decorating By cattycornercakes Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm by CWR41

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on a display cake for my first bridal show next week. I'd like to be able to say "this would serve XXX as is." Normally I don't have any trouble figuring out # of servings but I think I'm going brain dead trying to get everything done for this show. My tier sizes are 18, 16, 14, 12, 9 and 6.

Any volunteers to do some math for me and give me an approximate # of servings for this?

Thanks!!
Renee

6 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 7

The chart I use says 18=115 16=90 14=65 12=45 9=22 and 6=8 grand total is 345. Thats a huge cake! lol!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

sure does sound like a lot of servings! are we talking rounds?

here's my cake calculator using data from Wilton's site:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

cattycornercakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 7

So sorry! I forgot to mention they are rounds.

I looked at Earlene's chart but it confuses me. I'm ok with Column A, B and C but F and G confuse me.

Thanks for the replies! I have what I estimated the size to be but I'm not sure I'm right.

Oh..I should mention my display cake is a dummy cake...all styrofoam icon_smile.gif

cattycornercakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33

The chart I use says 18=115 16=90 14=65 12=45 9=22 and 6=8 grand total is 345. Thats a huge cake! lol!

Thats what I estimated from Earlene's chart too. I must be on the right track.

Thanks!

cattycornercakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

sure does sound like a lot of servings! are we talking rounds?

here's my cake calculator using data from Wilton's site:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

I usually use that website for calculations but it doesn't show an 18" round cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

I usually use that website for calculations but it doesn't show an 18" round cake.

If you need the 18" serving amount to complete your calculations, I'd estimate it to serve between 122-148. (148 is from the old Wilton chart, and 122 seems to closely reflect what the new Wilton formula is.)

You might consider the height of your 18" dummy when quoting this exact size display cake (if it's 4" tall)... in reality, a cake that large would look better if it's taller than all of the other tiers so that it looks proportionate and sturdy as the base tier--just something to keep in mind if you would charge more for a cake that was 5-6" tall which "could" ultimately serve more (depending on how it's cut), but may be smaller servings (as in 3" tall sizes instead of 4" tall). If you have an 18" pan that fits in your oven, it's probably 2" tall, but if you're using the 18" half round pan it's 3" tall and would be easier to bake two of these layers and easier to cut as two cakes with a board in between, if you know what I mean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%