Stupid Question About Refrigerating Fondant And Gumpaste

Decorating By karateka Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 12:28pm by Enchantedcakes

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:41am
post #1 of 3

If you are making a cake that requires refrigeration and it has fondant or gumpaste elements such as ruffles or ribbons, does keeping the cake in the fridge ruin said elements? As the condensation is drying, I'm worried that the ruffles or other elements (bows, ribbons, etc) will droop?

What do you do about this if you can't keep them off the cake until delivery? Just tell people ahead of time that this decoration won't work with this recipe because the refrigerator will ruin it? I already know you can't put RI decos in the fridge, because the condensation will make them melt and run all over.

2 replies
ClassyCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyCat Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 3

Great question! Sorry I can't provide an answer for you, but I'm curious about this as well. icon_smile.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 3

Where I am located in Florida it is very hard to refrigerate any type of gumpaste or fondant work as it gets very soft in our commercial fridge. So yes I do inform brides of which fillings they should stay clear of if they want a specific design. Now we do make tons of fillings that do not require refrigeration, do to our heat index in the summer and the humidity year round we like to stay clear of a lot of perishable fillings that and outside beach weddings which we do a lot of. If a bride likes a flavor of a perishable filling try and recommend an American Buttercream that is flavored like the filling. Normally when a bride wants a bow or sugar flowers on their cake we place it on the cake on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%