Single Cake Decorators! Hard To Keep Relationships?

Lounge By Spills Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm by Spills

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hello fellow single cake decorators!
I'm just wondering if there are any other decorators out there that are finding it hard to keep a relationship while trying to juggle in the cakes as well?
I don't do the decorating as a business (yet) and have a regular day job, but I do have some busy times that my week (evenings) are dedicated to doing something with cakes... I've found trying to start/keep a relationship and do cakes at the same time is stressful - not only for myself, but for the other half of the relationship as well. It's not that I expect them to sit there and watch me decorate just for the company (although, sometimes that'd be nice icon_lol.gif ), but since a lot of cake orders are for weekends, usually Friday/Saturday evenings are cakes... And apparently Monday night date nights aren't desired. icon_razz.gif

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 11

Ahhh bummer....I'm married and hubby knows I get busy thursday/friday....Have no advice though...Good luck!!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 11

You need a boyfriend like mine who works shifts, he works four 12 hour days then has four days off. This means that for a few weeks he has weekends off then for a few weeks he has mid week days off. I work part time and do my cakes inbetween, so it works great for us.

Hope you're lucky in love soon icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 11

I assume you're youngif so, you'll both find a way to manage it if it's worth it.

I remember decorating wedding cakes every Friday night until midnight or so when dating my future husband. I'd call him when I was finished, and if he was too tired to go out that latewhatever, he'd have to make arrangements for another time. It didn't bother me either way, because I also had to open the store in the morning.

When you're young, you learn how to function on little sleep. If it's a priority to have time to visit with your special someone, you'll quickly adapt to sleeping in split shifts!!!!

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 11

It's not stressful just for single people. I'm married and it is hard to fit everyone and everything in. I work full time and started my cake business in May. It is a drastic difference than what my husband was used to. I think you almost have it easier doing it while dating. The other person knows what they are getting and you guys make it work. My husband didn't know this was on the radar when we were dating or married. Anyway, as with any relationship, you just make it work. Depending on what's going on, I'm busy Monday and Tuesday and I can't put aside one night that is only his. We just make the best of the time that I'm not busy. And, we keep in mind that the double jobs is not going to be forever and my time will free up. I'm hoping to be doing only cakes by May. We mapped it out and know the sacrafice that we would have to endure and for how long. And quite frankly, sometimes it's for the best! When you are getting on each other's nerves and need some space--"gee, gotta go. I have a cake to do!" ha ha

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 11

My cake making may be grounds for a divorce! I love making cake, it makes me happy. BUT they take up a lot of time and that doesn't make my husband happy. Plus work, plus 3 kids, bla bla bla.

My advise, reserve a night a week that is cake free. Kind of the Sunday of cake making and make a point of going out and being social.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 11

I'm lucky that both me and my boyfriend of 5 years enjoy our independance, but some times it does seem to get in the way. Life and love is always more important than work so if you're working so much that you can't have a life outside of it, it may be time to reserve some days off. You can always say no to a cake order icon_smile.gif Just my 2 cents.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #8 of 11

My husband and I took cake decorating classes together, he is well aware of the stress of making/decorating cakes and making the flowers ... kinda like PMS .. time to get out of the kitchen and stay out ! for a few hours atleast ! Hang in there!

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 11

I've had the same problem. I have a full time day job and make cakes in the evenings. I finally got to the point where I was spending all of my time making cakes for little to no profit and not getting to spend any time with my boyfriend. Finally I got to the point where I decided to raise my prices and do fewer cakes for more money. I think my time is valuable and if someone doesn't want to pay my prices I don't have to a cake for them. Now i work on cakes monday through thursday then spend friday night with my boyfriend. Saturday during the day I do any finishing touches and deliver the cakes and then I have all saturday evening and all day sunday to spend time with my BF. I may not be doing as many cakes but i'm not getting burnt out and me and my boyfriend are happy icon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:33am
post #10 of 11

I am recently divorced and picked up cakes as a hobby to get over the whole thing.

Right now cake is my boyfriend...LOL.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for all your support and comments! To answer a couple questions, I'm not getting any younger (pushing 30...) and my bf does sort of work shift work, his evenings can be quite busy but most of his work can be done over the phone.
He supports my cake decorating and encourages me to charge more as well (another decorator doing much work for little profit - GUILTY!) and to outsource my service to other markets (basically to people that will pay for a piece of art that is cake). Even gives me some ideas on Promotions for holidays and such. I admit, I get fairly stressed out with lots of orders, or a cake that will be seen my many (corporation cakes, weddings). All can be managed if it's scheduled in...including any time with the bf, and I don't think he realizes that yet. I can't just up and go to some gathering with him last minute when I have a couple cakes to decorate for the morning after... I guess it just gets frustrating and more discussion is required. I am thankful for the fact that my bf and I CAN talk things out thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%