Problems Getting Feedback On Cakes?

Decorating By eve81 Updated 25 Oct 2018 , 5:47am by GI

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 26

I am in the lucky position that I bring most of my cakes to their destination and personally give them to the person they are for (because I'm not a professional just a hobbyist.) Recently I've been doing 2 cakes a week (october is a busy month) but how many cakes have i received feeback on? NONE!

No-one will cut my cakes at the party they are for. It seems to have become a thing here that the cake is for decorative purposes only and will be cut at a later date. Seriously?????????

I made a cake on the weekend for my nephew's christening, which everyone loved the look of, and I spent so much time baking ( 9 inch vanilla, 9inch chocolate devils food cake - built into a tall tier, then a 7 inch fruit cake) but they decided to take the cake home instead of cutting it. I was so disappointed. icon_sad.gif

I'm just starting out and trying new recipes and I need the feedback on taste texture...etc because they are the things I'm most unsure about.

Is this a new thing I hadnt heard of - why would you NOT cut cake????

25 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 26

Actually, I think that is rather selfish on the part of the host to not cut a cake and serve to guests. I know that I did a specific van for a groom's cake - and he refused to cut it at the wedding. Of course, they had plenty of wedding cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 26

More than once, when it's a family gathering or a work event, someone has been dumb enough to say in front of me about it being "too pretty to cut", to which I quickly (and in my bossiest MOM voice!) tell them, "I didn't work that hard on a cake just so you bozo's could LOOK at it! Now either get it cut or give me the knife!"

dumba$$es.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 26

I would be disappointed, too, but I think they are actually going out of their way to compliment you on your decorating ability. I agree it's silly and the cake should be served, but I think their heart is in the right place.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 26

I've had to make the first cut on my last 4 cakes. I try to take it as a compliment but part of me wonders if perhaps there's something wrong with the taste? (They were for people who have had my cake before.)

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 26

Are you close to any of these people that you could as k for honest feedback, ask them very candidly why and let them know if there is a problem with flavor, texture etc it is in your best interest to know so you can improve. I personally have never had that happen and typically I hear back from 95% of my cakes as to what their opinion was so I'm not sure what this means?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #7 of 26

as far as feedback ......

i pulled up my spreadsheet for 2008 and 2009. Over this 2 year period, i had over 200 bookings (cakes AND catering). I received emails or thank you notes from MAYBE 10% of them. MAYBE!!!

So if you do 25 cakes this month and if TWO of them let you know "nice cake", then you've done ok.

People just don't call the baker or caterer to rave over the cake/food very often. (Before you were a caker, did YOU ever drop a note to walmart or your local bakery to tell them the cake was ok? Odds are good most of us didn't.)

My bottom line on feedback is "no news is good news" because trust me ..... and everyone else who agrees with me ...... if there was a problem, they'd be calling you PRONTO!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:05am
post #8 of 26

I think it's bizarre not to cut a cake at a party. I always look forward to the cake! But I am experiencing this no feedback issue myself. Normally I attend the events and get to watch everyone's reactions, (is it one bite and then the garbage or are they going back for seconds, etc.) But lately, I've been baking for friends where I am not there at the event. I hear nothing back! I asked a couple of them "how was the cake" and of course they are "oh it was wonderful...blah blah blah". And I wonder of course if they are saying that because I asked! I guess when you are a cake person you think of nothing but the cake. But for "other people" I suppose it's "just cake" and unless it really sucked they aren't going to say anything.

I agree it's very frustrating icon_sad.gif

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 26

I've just been making cakes for about 10 months. I always get feedback through facebook. I think it's a really good way to see if people like my cakes. Honestly, before I started making cakes myself I can say that I NEVER called my cake baker and told her how great the cake was. I suggest getting on facebook to get plenty of comments.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #10 of 26

They may be trying to protect you, thinking it would be hard to see it cut or something like that. I would suggest that since these are friends, family or co-workers that the next time you volunteer to bring a cake for people close to you, tell them you would love to on two conditions, one is that they give you some feedback since you are trying new recipes. The second is that the cake must be cut. Then at the event you just take the inititive at the best time and say it is cake time, pick up and knife and ask who is cutting the cake. If no one steps forward then do it yourself. Then when you are handing out slices say you would like feedback on the icing or cake or design, or something, give them something specific to focus on, not just how do you like the cake which is too vague. Maybe if they are shy about it you could have some pieces of paper they could write their thoughts down on. If you present it as they are doing you a favor it might help out. Other than the paper idea, these are things I have done and have gotten specific feedback, and the cake cut this way. Another way to get feedback is to get together with some good friends or family just to do tasting. Have some coffee, milk or whatever and some cakes and frostings or whatever and take good notes. It is way fun!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #11 of 26

I also find myself anxiously waiting praise but I guess no news is good news. And a lot of people give praise at the time of pick up and fgure that is adequate.

eve81 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I've had to make the first cut on my last 4 cakes. I try to take it as a compliment but part of me wonders if perhaps there's something wrong with the taste? (They were for people who have had my cake before.)

you see, that's my worry too. They've all tasted my baking so I dont know if it's a case of "we may as well look at it because there's nothing special inside" or "ooooh its just too darn good to cut"

eve81 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 26

well I dropped by my parent's house today and you'll never guess......cake still not cut! that's just bordering on the ridiculous. My sister was the only one there at the time and she said they were under instructions that my brother and his partner were the only ones allowed to cut it. So I rang my brother tonight and told him he'd need to cut it before it starts to grow legs and walk away.................

I need to practice my "Mom" voice then for the next time!

sillymoo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillymoo84 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 26

ditto the above...
no news is good news!

It makes it even more special when someone emails with a fantastic thank you!! those emails make it all worthwhile!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #15 of 26

I'm with Indydebi - when I get compliments on something looking too good to cut I tell them "Well thank you, but too bad - cause you are cutting it!" lol

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 26

This is why on my cards and web site it says
"no cake is too pretty to eat"

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve81

No-one will cut my cakes at the party they are for. It seems to have become a thing here that the cake is for decorative purposes only and will be cut at a later date. Seriously?????????

icon_confused.gif I have never heard of such a thing! I've had people tell me "your cake is too pretty to eat...but then they dig right in!!! icon_lol.gif I'm with psurrette, no cake is too pretty to eat...ever! Maybe you need to let your family know that if you provide the cake for a certain event, you expect it to be dished up!!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:53pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

More than once, when it's a family gathering or a work event, someone has been dumb enough to say in front of me about it being "too pretty to cut", to which I quickly (and in my bossiest MOM voice!) tell them, "I didn't work that hard on a cake just so you bozo's could LOOK at it! Now either get it cut or give me the knife!"

dumba$$es.

I love this!! This really made me laugh because I always *think* this exactly but never come out and say it!

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:56pm
post #19 of 26

This thread is so funny!

A bunch of years ago, WAY before I was a doing cakes, I threw a big engagement party for a friend and his soon to be wife.

I ordered a custom cake & we were all so exicted to try it. I spent weeks working on that party.

We had a great time, the party was in full swing & I announced we were going to cut the cake. Tah Dah........congrats, speeches of love & happiness, etc......

The wife to be screamed that HER cake was too pretty to eat, grabbed the cake went into my kitchen and put it in the box to take home. icon_eek.gif

I am not kidding.

We all just stood there in shock. I had set out a table of sweets to go along with the cake, so I told everyone to dig in and enjoy and laughed it off.

To this day, if the story comes up there is just complete shock. She took that cake home & we never got a piece. icon_evil.gif

Some people are just odd. icon_smile.gif lol!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

dumba$$es.

LOL! I'm with you Debbie! My response is: "Do you know how long that took me to make?! You BETTER cut it!"

Once the carnage is over I usually look at my friend, smile and say in a satisfied voice: "X-hours/days of work, 15 minutes to destroy it. How was it?"

Grrr. My cakes tase as good as, if not better than, they look so I better see people eating it.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 5:54pm
post #21 of 26

I know this is a super old thread but I just wanted to make a comment and see if anyone else has had a similar experience..what if YOU email a client, to thank them for choosing you to provide the cake for their special event, hope they enjoyed the cake, please consider me for future events etc and then you hear nothing?? Whereas leading up to the pickup, they were very prompt with suggestions, emails about what they want etc and were happy with pickup too. I mean the lady seemed happy when she picked it up but haven’t heard from her since.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 6:37pm
post #22 of 26

@Hajrak - for quite a few years I worked as a florist.  With weddings and other big events (or even just small deliveries) we would have regular contact with our clients to make sure everything was to their liking.  Once the event was done it was done.  Sometimes we got thank you cards and even less frequently they would stop in and tell us how things went.  But most times we wouldn't hear from them again unless they needed flowers again.  We certainly didn't think anything of it if we didn't hear from them.  We always figured no news was good news because you can best be assured that if they were unhappy we would have been notified.  I feel like with flowers, and similarly with cakes, they aren't something that you need on a very consistent basis.  Many times they are for special occasions and special occasions are special for a reason...because they don't happen very often.  So maybe you just haven't heard from her because she just hasn't been in need of another cake.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 26

Also, since I can't edit my previous post, the email you sent may have just felt like a regular follow up email that really doesn't need to be responded to.  I mean if she already expressed her thanks and her happiness with the cake upon delivery then she probably didn't think she had to say much else.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Oct 2018 , 11:57pm
post #24 of 26

I agree with everything Freckles0829 said.  I think it is the acception rather than the rule that followup is given by the customer.  Just take it as a big plus on the rare occasion that it is.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 24 Oct 2018 , 12:16am
post #25 of 26

Yes I think you’re both right. i Guess I’ll just have to accept it as no need is good news even when my mind is running worrisome thoughts through my head!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 25 Oct 2018 , 5:47am
post #26 of 26

My first thought?  What a bunch of selfish pigs!  They're going to eat the WHOLE cake? What is that....like 46 servings!

Omg lol 

Well...maybe they DID want to eat it all themselves. 

Otherwise,  if its family,  tell em to snap a photo and then dig in.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%