Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow Cake Into Marble Cake

Baking By tmelrose Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm by tmelrose

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:21am
post #1 of 15

This coming weekend I want to try out Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake since it always gets rave reviews. However I would like to try and make it a marble cake. I've never done this before with any cake. Someone posted that it makes 6 cups of batter. How much melted chocolate will I need to add to this? Maybe 2 oz squares? Is it best to swirl melted chocolate directly to batter once in pan? Or reserve so much batter and combine with melted chocolate then swirl in to remaining batter? Any help is appreciated.

How much cooled melted semi sweet chocolate?
Swirl directly into cake or combine chocolate with reserved batter, then swirl?

14 replies
tmelrose Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 15

Anybody? Help?

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 15

I've done this with her recipe in the past. After the egg whites are folded in to the batter I removed about a creal bowl full to mix with cocoa/chocolate. I then poured the yellow batter into the pans and then spooned out the chocolate on top of the yellow and completed the swirl pattern with a knife and just make figure eights until it looks good. Don't do too much or you'll mix both batters completely and loose the marbeling.

Hope this helps. good luck.

tmelrose Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks. I'm just guessing but 2 - 1oz chocolate squares sound like a good amount for the chocolate?

J1977 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 15

Yes that should do. I really just eyeball it to make sure the color is good.

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 15

What kind of chocolate did you use? And how much did you end up using?

This recipe is my favorite yellow cake recipe!

J1977 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 15

sumerae,

I use Callebaut or whatever I have on hand. Anywho I just put a good size chunk to give it a good color and chocolate flavor. You still want it to bake correctly so you don't want to add too much chocolate or you will change the dynamic of the recipe.

This is by far the best yellow I have tried but a few weeks back I put this cake in the fridge (which I never do) and even after it thawed it was like a gummy cake and I know it was fully cooked because I torted each layer. Have you ever had that happen? Just curios, it blows my mind.

sumerae Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 15

I have never put it in the frig. I used it for a groom's cake this weekend and forgot to do the parchment paper in the pan. I did spray it but no paper. Then froze it for 2 days. Thawed completely before torting and icing. I had a tough time with icing it, the outside was very cumby and falling off. Part was due to (I think) I should have made my icing a tad thinner, but the other part I think had to be due to having frozen and then thawed...or no paper....I dunno, I've made this recipe about 4 other times now and never had these issues. I thought was I was going to have a cake disaster on my hands but somehow I recovered and it turned out fine. Not perfect but I don't think anyone at the wedding (other than myself!) noticed! For now on, when I do this recipe, I'll just plan to make as close to and ice right away.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:36am
post #9 of 15

This the yellow cake recipe I use and I want to try it as marble as well! Thanks for the tips! Also, I freeze this cake all the time and never have any problems. But I don't let it completely thaw so maybe that's why. I thaw it enough so that I can torte it fairly easily (because I have a crappy little leveler that can't cut a frozen cake). It usually is fine...not mushy or gummy or anything. I have had issues with this recipe suddenly sinking in the center and I have yet to figure out that one!

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 15

I have marbled by melting chocolate and adding to maybe a cup of reserved batter than dolloping amongst the rest in the pan and swirling gently. I too have had nothing but problems with this cake sinking and shrinking for the last month so I had to make some adjustments. It is not as light and melt in your mouth but still has good texture, flavor and keeps firm flat top when baked which is more important to me since I do a lot of cuppies that were looking awful!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcakesmom

I too have had nothing but problems with this cake sinking and shrinking for the last month so I had to make some adjustments. It is not as light and melt in your mouth but still has good texture, flavor and keeps firm flat top when baked

May I ask what adjustments you made? The shrinking and sinking has me really frustrated since prior to a couple of months ago, this was baking up perfectly!

tmelrose Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 15

I sure hope I don't have any issues this weekend! Its for my 6 year old's bday.

tmelrose Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks J1977 by the way!

sumerae Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 15

I had a little problem with one pan sinking, but I would have cut some of the top off anyway tp get rid of the edges, so the amount it sank was no more than what would have been cut off anyway. It's a delicious cake, hope you all love it, I can't wait to try and marble it. Just to be sure, you all used melted chocolate squares...would a bittersweet or semi sweet....or even a dark chocolate be ok?

tmelrose Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 15

I'm going to try semi sweet, but I've never done this before either. Can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%